Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So we got ds an aquarium and 6 fish for his birthday last week. Only 2 are still alive. We just keep telling him they're sleeping and scoop them out when he's not looking. :(

I just don't understand why they keep dying left and right. We originally put 3 guppies and 3 mollies in the tank, and now we're down to just 1 molly and 1 guppie. What a disastrous present. I feel like crap.

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:00 PM
Replies (21-30):
CrimsonRadiance
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Have you tested the water? Some places have really bad water that fish just can't survive in. 

When you set up the tank, did you give the water time to age, or did you add the fish in right away? When you did add the fish, did you just dump them in, or did you let them get regulated (put them still in their bags of water, into the tank so that the water became the same temperature as the tank water)

What about temperatures? Do you have a tank heater?

Are you adding salt into the tank? Believe it or not, even fresh water fish need a little bit of aquarium salt. 

How big is the tank? For 6 fish, a ten gallon should be big enough, but if you have a lot of decorations in it, it might not be.. What types of decorations do you have in it? Did you wash them prior to putting them in the tank?

Did you treat the fish for ick or any other things after bringing them home from the store? Most fish that come from places like walmart and such aren't that healthy, it is always best to treat them even if they don't look sick, just in case. 

sorry for all the questions.. just trying to help you figure out WHY they are dying.. 

Hyman
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:15 PM
I won a goldfish at the fair and it is still alive since may!

Get a goldfish. Lol.

I have a filter though and you are only supposed to feed one flake to it each night or one flake twice a day. But they need room. Like 10 gallons per goldfish.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mrssummerlin
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:16 PM
I don't know a way to tell, but I'm pretty sure there is this solution you can get at the pet store to help prevent the problem in the future.
I can't remember the name though.

If the last two die I would clean the tank really well and get it ready again then add the solution and wait (I think it's an hour) before putting new fish in.

Quoting ChocolateJunky:

Wow I've never heard of that! Maybe I should let the water sit after they're done dying off before I get any more. Is there any way to tell a sick fish from a healthy one? That's probably a silly question, but I'm new to this lol.

Quoting mrssummerlin:

One of the fish could have easily been sick and got the others sick as well. Happens a lot.

Hyman
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:16 PM
Oh and speaking of water I use the drops to clarify the water for fish.
kidlover2
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:16 PM
Ummmm.... you say they died. Fish are one of the easiest ways to start. It's not like he has an emotional attachment. What happens when Grandma " goes to sleep" you'll find you now possess an insomniac.

Quoting ChocolateJunky:

Because he's 3, and I didn't want to upset him that the gift I got him was a total failure. We haven't dealt with death before, so I'm not sure how to explain it to him.

Quoting kidlover2:

Why are you telling him the fish are sleeping? That's a little messed up. Any ways.... there are a lot of reasons your fish could be dying. Many good fish stores will test your water for you if you take them a sample and give you pointers.

ChocolateJunky
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:17 PM

I'm in Texas. I heard Mollies give live births. That's the whole reason I got them. I thought it would be a great learning experience for ds. The guppies were just cheap lol.

Quoting puasaurusrex:

Could have been sick. With that many dead, I'd definitely clean out the tank completely and start over. If you were close to me, I'd give you some mollies. We currently have 9 babies that I would like to give to good homes before her next batch arrive.

ChocolateJunky
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:18 PM

So I am learning. Seriously, I'm taking a bunch of notes from all of these responses. I had no idea!

Quoting TexasWife:

Water temp. ph levels. Seriously there is a ton of things.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:18 PM
Fish are an easy way to introduce death. Also you need drops for your tank to soften water. Are the fish suddenly dead or did they turn whitish and swim upside down? If so it may be ick. They sell tablets for it. You treat the tank.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Water temperature and cleanliness. If you're just putting tap in there without water conditioner, then it can kill them. Also, some fish need a submersible water heater.

ChocolateJunky
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:19 PM

We went to Petsmart

Quoting mom2hadley:

Where did you get the fish?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN