Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So we got ds an aquarium and 6 fish for his birthday last week. Only 2 are still alive. We just keep telling him they're sleeping and scoop them out when he's not looking. :(

I just don't understand why they keep dying left and right. We originally put 3 guppies and 3 mollies in the tank, and now we're down to just 1 molly and 1 guppie. What a disastrous present. I feel like crap.

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:00 PM
Replies (41-50):
ChocolateJunky
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:25 PM

We set it up a week before getting the fish. I'll look into Tetras. I'm hoping to find some hardier fish for the next bunch. I'm waiting for these other two to die off and them I'm going to start it all over again.

Quoting kris1stbaby:

Did you set up the tank before you put the fish in? Some fish don't do we'll in new tanks. We got Tetras and they helped set up our tank and they can live through a lot. Molly's are sensitive.

Acid
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Did you cycle the tank first?

You have to let the tank cycle for at least a month....and then add fish slowly.  Also, it might be too small for that  many fish.

Try cycling the water and then add more fish, slowly.

AmandaMaeBell
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Did you put the fish in a new tank?  I didn't know this, and we had a lot of fish die, but they recommend you have a running tank (full of water, filter and air running) about 2 weeks before you introduce fish.  You also shouldn't use distilled water.  If you use city (county) water, you must use a dechlorinator to eliminate the chlorine.  GL!

eesmommy
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I just waited for their questions and used that as my guide.
Mommy, why did the fishy die? ... baby, maybe the fishy had an illness or something, we don't know.
Mommy, can we get another one? ... yes, of course
Mommy, do fish go to heaven? ... yes
Mommy does everything die? ... yes
Mommy, can we have cookies? Lol yes

They have been to viewings but have only seen never seen the body up close. They know death exsists, we have chosen not to tell them anything, but to wait foe those questions. By doing this its them in control, its not flooding them with information they aren't ready for.

Quoting ChocolateJunky:

I take it they handled it well? How did you explain it to them? I don't like lying to ds, I just don't know how to tell him.

Quoting eesmommy:

Lol we chose the honest route..... buybfish, fish die, kids come and tell me what fish is dead, I call dh, dh comes home after work, scoops out dead fishband flushes it, kids ask if they can get a new one, buy new fish.... repeat lol

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MommyKir
by Kay on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:27 PM
1 mom liked this

make sure the tank has oxygen, that the ph is balanced and that the tank is cleaned regularly and add the needed chemical to balance the water before putting the fish back in. and make sure the water is at the right temp as well. a fish tank even a small one requires work its not just tossing fish in a bowl of water. and dont buy molly's they are pretty and all but tend to get sick easily and make the other fish ill as well spend the few extra bucks for tigerfish, parrotfish and other ones with decent lifespans I bought baby freshwater parrotfish for $10 and had them live for 8 years before they became ill.

crystalplus1
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:27 PM

I love my beta He will jump out of the water for a treat.

Quoting Anonymous:

I TRIED killing my beta... and it WOULD NOT DIE!

Quoting Anonymous:

Get a Betta fish. I tried gold fish and they did not work out, but my Betta fish is awesome. His name is killer.

ChocolateJunky
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:28 PM

I don't mind the questions at all. I did everything in the first paragraph, and after that it was all no, no, no... Man I didn't realize there was so much to this. This was really helpful. Thank you!

Quoting CrimsonRadiance:

Have you tested the water? Some places have really bad water that fish just can't survive in. 

When you set up the tank, did you give the water time to age, or did you add the fish in right away? When you did add the fish, did you just dump them in, or did you let them get regulated (put them still in their bags of water, into the tank so that the water became the same temperature as the tank water)

What about temperatures? Do you have a tank heater?

Are you adding salt into the tank? Believe it or not, even fresh water fish need a little bit of aquarium salt. 

How big is the tank? For 6 fish, a ten gallon should be big enough, but if you have a lot of decorations in it, it might not be.. What types of decorations do you have in it? Did you wash them prior to putting them in the tank?

Did you treat the fish for ick or any other things after bringing them home from the store? Most fish that come from places like walmart and such aren't that healthy, it is always best to treat them even if they don't look sick, just in case. 

sorry for all the questions.. just trying to help you figure out WHY they are dying.. 

AnastasiaKorsh
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I would get him a beta instead. Those things are hard to kill.

ChocolateJunky
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Holy cow! That's so cool! Lol sorry for my excitement, but I'd love to see that.

Quoting crystalplus1:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Get a Betta fish. I tried gold fish and they did not work out, but my Betta fish is awesome. His name is killer.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:30 PM

We were moving out of state, and couldn't take him with us, so DH said "kill him, and we'll get a new one" We had him for like 2 years. and he.wouldn't.die. So I gave him to my sister's sister-in-law

Quoting crystalplus1:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)