Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So we got ds an aquarium and 6 fish for his birthday last week. Only 2 are still alive. We just keep telling him they're sleeping and scoop them out when he's not looking. :(

I just don't understand why they keep dying left and right. We originally put 3 guppies and 3 mollies in the tank, and now we're down to just 1 molly and 1 guppie. What a disastrous present. I feel like crap.

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:00 PM
Replies (51-60):
ChocolateJunky
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:31 PM

I'm not even going to deny it. I assumed fish would be easy.

Quoting MommyKir:

make sure the tank has oxygen, that the ph is balanced and that the tank is cleaned regularly and add the needed chemical to balance the water before putting the fish back in. and make sure the water is at the right temp as well. a fish tank even a small one requires work its not just tossing fish in a bowl of water. and dont buy molly's they are pretty and all but tend to get sick easily and make the other fish ill as well spend the few extra bucks for tigerfish, parrotfish and other ones with decent lifespans I bought baby freshwater parrotfish for $10 and had them live for 8 years before they became ill.

HaloWithHorns78
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:31 PM
The ph balance is probably off.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ChocolateJunky
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Thanks I'll give that a shot. We let it cycle for a week and then added all the fish at once (once the temperature adjusted). I think we'll have better luck trying it this way instead.

Quoting Acid:

Did you cycle the tank first?

You have to let the tank cycle for at least a month....and then add fish slowly.  Also, it might be too small for that  many fish.

Try cycling the water and then add more fish, slowly.

ChocolateJunky
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:34 PM

You sound like a really good mommy. :)

Quoting eesmommy:

I just waited for their questions and used that as my guide.
Mommy, why did the fishy die? ... baby, maybe the fishy had an illness or something, we don't know.
Mommy, can we get another one? ... yes, of course
Mommy, do fish go to heaven? ... yes
Mommy does everything die? ... yes
Mommy, can we have cookies? Lol yes

They have been to viewings but have only seen never seen the body up close. They know death exsists, we have chosen not to tell them anything, but to wait foe those questions. By doing this its them in control, its not flooding them with information they aren't ready for.

Quoting ChocolateJunky:

I take it they handled it well? How did you explain it to them? I don't like lying to ds, I just don't know how to tell him.

Quoting eesmommy:

Lol we chose the honest route..... buybfish, fish die, kids come and tell me what fish is dead, I call dh, dh comes home after work, scoops out dead fishband flushes it, kids ask if they can get a new one, buy new fish.... repeat lol

crystalplus1
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Not a whole body out of water jump but about half of him pops out of the water.

Quoting ChocolateJunky:

Holy cow! That's so cool! Lol sorry for my excitement, but I'd love to see that.

Quoting crystalplus1:

I love my beta He will jump out of the water for a treat.

Quoting Anonymous:

I TRIED killing my beta... and it WOULD NOT DIE!

Quoting Anonymous:

Get a Betta fish. I tried gold fish and they did not work out, but my Betta fish is awesome. His name is killer.

boldrumble
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:38 PM
Why lie? That is just stupid
ChocolateJunky
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Aww I'm sorry to hear about that. Something similar happened with one of our beloved ball pythons. When we went out of town for the weekend, it was 97 degrees out. It was below freezing when we came back and we found her dead. It happened before I had kids, so she was basically my baby and I was pretty heartbroken. We'd planned on breeding her with another snake at a petstore. She was a blue eyed yellow pastel ball python, as docile as could be, thick, fat, and healthy. :( Aw man, I'm getting sentimental now.

Quoting Anonymous:

Our petsmart fish never ever lasted. Do you have an aquarium pet store in your area? We got the same fish at a regular aquarium store and didn't have near the problems. They basically gave us a step by step guide to fish care. Those fish lasted for 2 years. Then we were gone for 2 weeks over Christmas. It was really cold. The furnace went out. We came home to dead frozen fish and pipes and a real mess : (.

ChocolateJunky
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Lol that's the whole reason we got fish instead of a puppy! Damn it! Lol

Quoting chattycassie:

Fish die fast. I used to keep them but to be honest it was more work than the dog. Good luck

atyou
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:41 PM
What size tank?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ChocolateJunky
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Because I was caught off gaurd and unprepared to tell my three year old about death?
I'd hardly say that was stupid. I may not have handled it as well as others have, but I did what made sense to me at the time.

Quoting boldrumble:

Why lie? That is just stupid

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)