Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So we got ds an aquarium and 6 fish for his birthday last week. Only 2 are still alive. We just keep telling him they're sleeping and scoop them out when he's not looking. :(

I just don't understand why they keep dying left and right. We originally put 3 guppies and 3 mollies in the tank, and now we're down to just 1 molly and 1 guppie. What a disastrous present. I feel like crap.

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:00 PM
Replies (71-80):
ChocolateJunky
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Really? The pet store told me I could do one 1-inch fish per gallon. They even said I could do six, since the fish I got were small. I'll take that into consideration next time.

Quoting Anonymous:

That is to many fish.

Quoting ChocolateJunky:

It's 5.5 gallons

Quoting michiganmom5150:

How big is the aquarium?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:36 PM
I have a 20 gallon and my guppies reproudce like nothing. I have about 50 fish in there. Start off with 2. If you put in to many at one time it will over load the Ph. Also are you buying from a fish store or PETCO. Petcos fish die easy.

Quoting ChocolateJunky:

Really? The pet store told me I could do one 1-inch fish per gallon. They even said I could do six, since the fish I got were small. I'll take that into consideration next time.

Quoting Anonymous:

That is to many fish.

Quoting ChocolateJunky:

It's 5.5 gallons

Quoting michiganmom5150:

How big is the aquarium?

boldrumble
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:38 PM
Quoting ChocolateJunky:

well i find it ridiculous that your first instinct was to lie to your child.
ChocolateJunky
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:47 PM

I find it strange that you are so concerned with how I reacted. What's done is done. Not much sense over crucifying me over it. But hey, if it makes you feel better about yourself then go right ahead.

Quoting boldrumble:

Quoting ChocolateJunky:

well i find it ridiculous that your first instinct was to lie to your child.

melisawoosley
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:48 PM
If you take a sample of the water into Pet Smart they can test the ph level and let u.know how to fix it :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boldrumble
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:54 PM
Quoting ChocolateJunky:

i am not crucifying you, I'm just not lying to you. Seriously though, if yyour first instinct is to lie.... maybe you should reconsider how you parent.
ChocolateJunky
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:58 PM

I just picked my nose. That's how much your advice meant to me.

Quoting boldrumble:

Quoting ChocolateJunky:

i am not crucifying you, I'm just not lying to you. Seriously though, if yyour first instinct is to lie.... maybe you should reconsider how you parent.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:12 PM
1 mom liked this
It may well be ick or ich it's sometimes called. Go to petsmart and ask a worker. They will give you what you need, it's tablets that turn the water blue for a while but clears it up. Some fish are nitrogen sensitive so you may want to look up they are. It's the reason you shouldn't keep goldfish with other fish. There's a lot to aquarium keeping unfortunately.

Quoting ChocolateJunky:

I've noticed that the day before they die, they hide in the plants and barely move. Then the next morning I'll find them floating and they're color is different. Kind of whiter, I guess. We did use the drops. From other responses I'm starting to think I may have gotten a sick fish. :(

Quoting Anonymous:

Fish are an easy way to introduce death. Also you need drops for your tank to soften water. Are the fish suddenly dead or did they turn whitish and swim upside down? If so it may be ick. They sell tablets for it. You treat the tank.

boldrumble
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:26 PM
Quoting ChocolateJunky:

immature too, aren't you a winner
Livv066
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:45 PM
Well, just tell him. Roll whatever faith you are into your explanation.
DD, 3yrs, won a fish at a carnival, & it was dead in a week. I told her flat out, Fishy fish-(that was his name) died. I explained he was in heaven, and all. She did fine with it.

Quoting ChocolateJunky:

Because he's 3, and I didn't want to upset him that the gift I got him was a total failure. We haven't dealt with death before, so I'm not sure how to explain it to him.

Quoting kidlover2:

Why are you telling him the fish are sleeping? That's a little messed up. Any ways.... there are a lot of reasons your fish could be dying. Many good fish stores will test your water for you if you take them a sample and give you pointers.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)