Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I feel like I'm gonna be sick. (sad update on DD)

DD has been completely unable to tolerate her feedings. She already has a fundoplication and a GJ tube, but she can't even handle 15ml per our of just Pedialyte. She can't handle full strength, or even half strength formula at all. 

They've tried several different meds to get her bowels moving again, but none have worked. She's on TPN (IV nutrition), but they are VERY reluctant to send her home on that due to her high risk of infection or damage to her PICC line.

I have to choose between taking her home on TPN and running a very high risk of her getting an infection in her PICC line and getting sepsis. Or We can give her dilluted formula continuously at 10ml per hour, just enough to keep her from feeling hungry, and just let nature take it's course. 

I feel like I've been punched in the gut...

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:03 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:14 PM
I'm so sorry, I can't imagine how hard this must be for you My prayers are with you and your little girl.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:14 PM
I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. I know you can make the right choice whichever that may be. You are a strong woman, and an even better mom for that.
rgba
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:16 PM
:(
my heart hurts for you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ashley_Carlson
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:17 PM

She's terminal no matter what. So the question is, is it worth putting her at such a high risk for infection if it's only going to delay the inevitable?

Quoting Kennadismom:

Oh gosh mama I'm so sorry you have to make this decision. Now I'm not sure about in infants but I've seen adults who have utilized TPN and it can do wonderous things for their recovery, if your dd should stay on the TPN does she stand a chance at recovery?

Sarafinn2012

SO sorry mama. Every time I see you post something, it brings tears to my eyes. The best you can do is try to make her comfortable and love and enjoy your time with her. May you have the strength to get through these tough times.

MyLittlePwny

I'm so sorry mama :( I couldn't imagine being in your shoes.  Prayers for the both of you.  I'm going to go hug my girls now.  I'm so sorry.

Kennadismom
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:20 PM
Quoting Ashley_Carlson:

Ohh I see. Wow mama I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. :( I'm sending prayers and hugs your way and I hope you find a peaceful way to make this decision
AmandaMaeBell
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:22 PM

I'm so sorry :(

AngelCodysMom
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:24 PM
Hugs. I am so sorry hun
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MooBaaLaLaLa80
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:24 PM
Sad. Not sure what choice I would make.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)