Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

most useless advice ever!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
It's only 8 weeks ago that I had my son, but since becoming a mom I've already noticed that a lot of recommendations are just useless. Even when I previously thought it was good advice.

What is the most useless/ridiculous advice you've ever been given?
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:21 PM
Replies (201-209):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:27 AM
Ok, that's different than just flat out not allowing him to have solids until 13 months. By at least 5 months, all 4 of mine were trying to take food off my plate to eat. I couldn't imagine denying them for that long if they want the food.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah it's called baby led solids. You start when they are READY not just shove it down their throats. I started offering at 9 months but he threw up every time even when I tried purees to see if it was an issue with chunks. At 13 months he put some food in his mouth, chewed, and swallowed. The fact his brother has allergies also made me be a little more cautious.

I know he was perfectly healthy
He was almost 25lbs and 30in at 12 months. He also nursed(nurses still) every 2-3 hours. Also until 18 months 75% of a child's diet can be breastmilk and that child will THRIVE!

I believe formula and early introduction of solids contributed to my older kids problems.

Quoting Anonymous:

13 months before you gave him solids? Ridiculous, but whatever. Just because the last child doesn't have allergies, doesn't mean that was the reason your older ones do have issues.

Quoting Anonymous:

Like I said they get an hour of education on NUTRITION. I ONLY trust my pediatrician with MEDICAL advice NEVER nutritional advice. I did with my first two kids and I feel that they were overfed (both got formula.) I also followed his advice on solids. They were started way too early and given too much. My oldest son HATES all food and my second son has severe food allergies.

I did EVERYTHING different with my third. He's a healthier, happier baby because of the choices I made. He was exclusively breastfed until he was ready for solids at 13 month, I skipped infant cereals and purees, and he's only self fed whether with a spoon or with his fingers.

Quoting Anonymous:

so if pediatritions are such idiots, then who did your children see when they were infants, toddlers, and older?

Quoting Anonymous:

Because pediatricians are idiots. A pediatrician gets about an hour of education on infant nutrition. They should not give feeding advice EVER.

Quoting Anonymous:

Huh. So why'd her pediatrition recommend it then? I thought they were all about healthy eating and stuff.

Quoting chipper87:

because infants lack the amalyse to break it down so its pointless to give it to them. Its nutritionally void and empty calories. It didn't help at all with my oldest daughters reflux either...no matter how thick I made it!

Quoting Anonymous:

I added infant cereal and the pureed banana's to my dd's formula bottles all the time. She loved it. It was her morning breakfast treat. Her dr told me I was doing just fine, he even told me it was perfectly fine to add the cereal to her bottles..

I don't understand why that is such horrible advice??

Quoting chipper87:

give a teething baby chicken bones

add infant cereal to their bottles for ANY reason

zoo003
by Gold Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Agree with this.  After reading many of the responses that have been written in this post, I think some women have forgotten that not all children are the same age and science and nutritional knowledge has evolved and changed over time.  The advice that a woman received 10, 20, 30 etc years ago would not be the same advice that she would receive today.  This does not make a parent lazy or neglectful, or the doctor incompetent, just the knowledge wasn't what it is now. 

Quoting Anonymous:

No, it's not. It's a parenting decision. Just because you may not agree with it, doesn't mean nobody should do it.

Quoting chipper87:

that's actually good advice :)

Quoting Anonymous:

To not use CIO.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 13, 2012 at 4:05 AM
I didn't deny him anything he wanted the boob:-) Reaching for food isn't a sign of readiness, it's a sign of curiosity. A baby will reach for a lit cigarette, doesn't mean their ready to smoke, kwim?

The signs of readiness are sitting UNSUPPORTED, loss of tongue thrust reflex, and ability to use thumb and finger to pick up cheerio sized pieces(not just scrape them into palm with fingers.) My son was a late sitter, he had lost his tongue thrust reflex but I couldn't tell you when, and he began picking up tiny pieces(usually off the floor) by 8 months. The AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics) recommends that you wait 6 months before starting solids whether breast or bottle fed but this is a new guideline as of 2012. I trust the AAP, they study everything involving children so parents can make informed choices.

Quoting Anonymous:

Ok, that's different than just flat out not allowing him to have solids until 13 months. By at least 5 months, all 4 of mine were trying to take food off my plate to eat. I couldn't imagine denying them for that long if they want the food.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah it's called baby led solids. You start when they are READY not just shove it down their throats. I started offering at 9 months but he threw up every time even when I tried purees to see if it was an issue with chunks. At 13 months he put some food in his mouth, chewed, and swallowed. The fact his brother has allergies also made me be a little more cautious.

I know he was perfectly healthy
He was almost 25lbs and 30in at 12 months. He also nursed(nurses still) every 2-3 hours. Also until 18 months 75% of a child's diet can be breastmilk and that child will THRIVE!

I believe formula and early introduction of solids contributed to my older kids problems.

Quoting Anonymous:

13 months before you gave him solids? Ridiculous, but whatever. Just because the last child doesn't have allergies, doesn't mean that was the reason your older ones do have issues.

Quoting Anonymous:

Like I said they get an hour of education on NUTRITION. I ONLY trust my pediatrician with MEDICAL advice NEVER nutritional advice. I did with my first two kids and I feel that they were overfed (both got formula.) I also followed his advice on solids. They were started way too early and given too much. My oldest son HATES all food and my second son has severe food allergies.

I did EVERYTHING different with my third. He's a healthier, happier baby because of the choices I made. He was exclusively breastfed until he was ready for solids at 13 month, I skipped infant cereals and purees, and he's only self fed whether with a spoon or with his fingers.

Quoting Anonymous:

so if pediatritions are such idiots, then who did your children see when they were infants, toddlers, and older?

Quoting Anonymous:

Because pediatricians are idiots. A pediatrician gets about an hour of education on infant nutrition. They should not give feeding advice EVER.

Quoting Anonymous:

Huh. So why'd her pediatrition recommend it then? I thought they were all about healthy eating and stuff.

Quoting chipper87:

because infants lack the amalyse to break it down so its pointless to give it to them. Its nutritionally void and empty calories. It didn't help at all with my oldest daughters reflux either...no matter how thick I made it!

Quoting Anonymous:

I added infant cereal and the pureed banana's to my dd's formula bottles all the time. She loved it. It was her morning breakfast treat. Her dr told me I was doing just fine, he even told me it was perfectly fine to add the cereal to her bottles..

I don't understand why that is such horrible advice??

Quoting chipper87:

give a teething baby chicken bones

add infant cereal to their bottles for ANY reason

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LyTe684
by Ruby Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 6:32 AM
Lol! Damn. Now why didn't I think of that?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting LyTe684:

I was stupid to bf ds. I should have given him formula, but dilute sugar in the water before fixing the formula.

Aw hell, should have let your glucose get to 300 or dipped your nips in powdered sugar, lol

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
poshkat
by Gold Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 7:35 AM
Quoting twoblues:

It's one of those things never understood either. Useless advice is everywhere. It pretty much stopped when ds was born a preemie, than everyone sstarted asking how it feels to be a mother. I told them I didn't know because for 2 weeks when he was in the nicu I was just the nice lady who came to hand out and feed and snuggle him for the day.
poeticrose09
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 8:02 AM
That I should try and gain more weight to ease the pulled muscles in my lower back to balance out.

Not to eat hot sauce or spicy things because it'll make the baby blind.

Not to reach over my head for anything or ill strangle the baby

First one said by my sil whose never been pregnant last two my my dh grandma
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
svolkov
by Emerald Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 10:12 AM

no idea but i thought it was hilarious. shes russian

Quoting ebbierowe:

Wwwhhhaaaaattt? O_o

Quoting svolkov:

Not really about babies but my mil said it was good I wear skirts at home because then her grandsons wont end up gay......O_o

BlessedBeX3
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 10:18 AM

when i was trying to get my first dd to sleep on her own at 13 months, my mom told me to put her in her room, close the door and turn on loud music so i wouldn't hear her cry.

My FIL tried telling me that the way i put on diaper cream would spread infection

then FIL told my dh when our first DD was born "do not kiss her you will get her sick" (none of us were sick) I stormed in his room and said to him, "you dont tell him not to kiss his new born daughter" and he proceeded to tell me that we shouldnt bc some mom he read about online took her daughters pacifier from the ground, used her own saliva to clean it and popped in back in her dd's mouth and got her sick. Stupid stupid stupid.

Quoting Anonymous:

It's only 8 weeks ago that I had my son, but since becoming a mom I've already noticed that a lot of recommendations are just useless. Even when I previously thought it was good advice.

What is the most useless/ridiculous advice you've ever been given?

melissaaytes
by Bronze Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Every child is different, this is just to get a general consensus then you figure out what works for you :)  I hate all the discipline posts!!!  I spank my child when she deserves it, I do not beat her, and other times it is time out!  She is 3 and got sent to bed last night for climbing under a chair in the kitchen and pooing in her pants lol it was bath (no playing) and then sent to bed about 2 hours before normal bedtime...bet she won't do that again...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)