Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

most useless advice ever!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
It's only 8 weeks ago that I had my son, but since becoming a mom I've already noticed that a lot of recommendations are just useless. Even when I previously thought it was good advice.

What is the most useless/ridiculous advice you've ever been given?
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:21 PM
Replies (31-40):
chipper87
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:31 PM
3 moms liked this
you mean months right?!?

the aap recommends starting solids at a minimum of 6 months due to open gut. If your Dr said 6 WEEKS then you need a new Dr for babys sake.

Quoting Anonymous:

Nope, at 6 weeks.

Quoting Anonymous:

Was that when she was starting on solid foods?

Quoting Anonymous:

I added infant cereal and the pureed banana's to my dd's formula bottles all the time. She loved it. It was her morning breakfast treat. Her dr told me I was doing just fine, he even told me it was perfectly fine to add the cereal to her bottles..

I don't understand why that is such horrible advice??

Quoting chipper87:

give a teething baby chicken bones

add infant cereal to their bottles for ANY reason

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chipper87
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:32 PM
holy guacamole! no no no!

Quoting ImNotKarl:

If I pick up my baby every time he cried (I'm talking newborn age), he'd become a spoiled brat with an entitlement complex and would never develope independence.

Breastfeeding would make my son a sexual deviant.

Eating certain fruits (I'm talking inane things like strawberries or cantelope) would cause my breastmilk to be undrinkably toxic, and eating them while pregnant could kill the baby.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chipper87
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:33 PM
3 moms liked this
that's actually good advice :)

Quoting Anonymous:

To not use CIO.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dirby1988
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:34 PM
I was yold to put cereal in dds bottle whrn she was about 4 months. I tried it and she was up more that night than any other night! It worked horrible. I will never do it again with my future children!

Quoting Traceyssel:

"formula is better for your baby, cause it keeps them fuller longer" LOL

OH AND

"put cereal in your babies bottle"

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:34 PM
If I meant months, I would have said months. She was only eating 2-4oz every 6-8hrs. I was really worried about her so he said she would be fine to add cereal. We didn't add the pureed food til about 3 months old when formula and cereal weren't enough.

Quoting chipper87:

you mean months right?!?

the aap recommends starting solids at a minimum of 6 months due to open gut. If your Dr said 6 WEEKS then you need a new Dr for babys sake.

Quoting Anonymous:

Nope, at 6 weeks.

Quoting Anonymous:

Was that when she was starting on solid foods?

Quoting Anonymous:

I added infant cereal and the pureed banana's to my dd's formula bottles all the time. She loved it. It was her morning breakfast treat. Her dr told me I was doing just fine, he even told me it was perfectly fine to add the cereal to her bottles..

Quoting chipper87:

Liz.Sisk
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:36 PM
Don't let your water break. You'll have a dry birth. It's painful. *rolls eyes*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lowencope
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:37 PM
All the baby gadgets.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chipper87
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:37 PM
because they may not be aware of the newer AAP recommendations. They may not have a lot of education in infant nutrition. I don't know why they don't know it but that doesn't mean it's not true. By all means research it, get a second or third opinion.....it's true I assure you.

Quoting Anonymous:

Huh. So why'd her pediatrition recommend it then? I thought they were all about healthy eating and stuff.

Quoting chipper87:

because infants lack the amalyse to break it down so its pointless to give it to them. Its nutritionally void and empty calories. It didn't help at all with my oldest daughters reflux either...no matter how thick I made it!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting chipper87:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:38 PM
Ok. Well this was 3yrs ago.

Quoting chipper87:

because they may not be aware of the newer AAP recommendations. They may not have a lot of education in infant nutrition. I don't know why they don't know it but that doesn't mean it's not true. By all means research it, get a second or third opinion.....it's true I assure you.

Quoting Anonymous:

Huh. So why'd her pediatrition recommend it then? I thought they were all about healthy eating and stuff.

Quoting chipper87:

because infants lack the amalyse to break it down so its pointless to give it to them. Its nutritionally void and empty calories. It didn't help at all with my oldest daughters reflux either...no matter how thick I made it!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting chipper87:

WithHope
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:39 PM
I'm often told that wearing my son will spoil him. Poor guy, I carried him 24/7 for 9 months, the least I can do is hold him from time to time now.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured