Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

counting change for a 7 year old

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:33 PM
  • 60 Replies

Poll

Question: When teaching a 7 year old to count change for the first time what order do you show them the change in order to count it? K so if I give him 5 nickels 3 dimes and 8 pennies which should he count first? (he knows all values of the coins)

Options:

Pennies to Nickels to Dimes

Nickels to Pennies to Dimes

Dimes to Nickels to Pennies

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 78

View Results

Because of DH's lack of common sense is killing me right now and he thinks what he's doing is right. (his way of counting I wanted to see what other people thought was the correct way of counting change because he's doing it ass backwards) Geeze.

I'm not certain people understand. He knows the values of each coin. We're not teaching one at a time. He is being taught how to count money and 'switch gears' from one value to the next quickly. If he's given a handful of change how would you teach to count it out which coin do you count first? 

Reason I ask is because my husband tried doing it #1 and #2. I think thats ass backwards if you ask me. As well as my DS wasn't getting it and DH was getting angry knowing DS has never had issues with me counting money. His teacher sends home work sheets and its always highest to lowest. This is what my son understands. Because counting first by 10's then switching to 5's is easy for him. Then add on the pennies. But to do pennies first exspecially when given a number of pennies that doesn't end in a 0 or in a count of 5 its very difficult to add up. going from 7 pennies to adding 3 nickels isn't easy unless your schooled in more than combo's to ten which is also what they're working on in school. However counting 5-10-15-16-17-etc is easier and much faster. 

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:34 PM
# 1
PinkyPan
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Superlaura328
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Largest to smallest. That's how I always learned it in school, and that is how it has been taught in all 3 of my childrens' school curriculum.

bri2011
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:40 PM
Pennies to dimes is how I would do it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Breamarkable
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:45 PM
1 mom liked this
He's 7, cut him some slack.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rosemagic01
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Read update I think I needed to explain it differently. 

Quoting Anonymous:

# 1

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:46 PM
1 mom liked this
biggest first..
rosemagic01
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:47 PM

What are you talking about this is what they're doing in school. He has to be able to count a handful of change. DH is the one battling which way it should be counted easiest for DS. 

Quoting Breamarkable:

He's 7, cut him some slack.

mommaoftwo
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I always count the largest valued coins first in real life, I have no idea how I did in school.

like if I have three quarters, two dimes, a nickel and three pennies. I would count, 75 cents, plus 20, plus eight.

rosemagic01
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:48 PM

read the update I don't think I explained it right at first. 

Quoting PinkyPan:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)