Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Feeling expected to buy christmas

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies
Last year a lady I work with says her grand kids, who live with her, wouldn't have a Christmas. I felt horrible. I got a collection from everyone at work. Went out and bought toys and clothes for the kids. Some of my money I could t afford to use. Anyway, this yer she comes to me again saying her grand kids won't have Christmas. She said she supporting everyone, as in 2 grown daughters, 2 grand kids, and the adult daughters boyfriends. Has nothing for Christmas. I asked why is nobody working? She responds, her daughters are in school and the boyfriends are deadbeats. I explained to her many students are working and going to school. Also, she said her money is going to ciggarettes and beer for the dds and bf's.

Nobody will pitch in money again. I feel bad for the kids. I am irritated the expectation. I'm sure I will get something for the kids. Am I wrong to feel this way?
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:42 PM
2 moms liked this
After last year, that's ridiculous...those poor children :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
km1970
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:44 PM
1 mom liked this

While I feel bad for the kids, it seems to me, if a house full of adults couldn't yet again manage to save ANYTHING for Christmas, it's on them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Are you sure she's not giving you a line of bullshit? I mean c'mon! After being a charity case last Christmas you'd think she'd plan something for this Christmas instead of waiting two weeks before Christmas to say something about her grandkids not getting anything.

jillbailey26
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:47 PM
1 mom liked this

No.  You shouldn't have to solve their problem and the fact that this lady is making it your problem is rude.

I've had to do something similar just today, by not letting someone else's problem become my problem.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

PEEK05
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:47 PM

I agree.

Quoting km1970:

While I feel bad for the kids, it seems to me, if a house full of adults couldn't yet again manage to save ANYTHING for Christmas, it's on them.

JLS2388
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:49 PM

The thing is, some people will use others until they can't anymore, she seems like one of them. You seem to have a good heart and I feel she may be taking advantage of that. Tell her to go to a toy drive.

southernwldchld
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:51 PM
2 moms liked this

Give her a list of the charitable organizations in the area. It's not your responsibility to give more than you are able.

elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Those poor babies :( are you close enough to her to try to help her find a long term solution to this issue? That is A LOT of people that could be working and supporting themselves. 

Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:52 PM
If she's that bad off, there are official charities for that. You shouldn't feel personally burdened.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LyTe684
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Quoting km1970:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)