Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

can breastfed babies get bottle rot?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 64 Replies
I saw my almost 3 year old nephew for the first time since his parents split up about 2 years ago. His front teeth are rotted. My neices were breastfed, he was not. My neices never had this. My son is breastfed. Am I in the clear?
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mary841108
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:11 PM

bottle rot...not boob rot you're good

livelaughlov26
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:12 PM
I was told if I breastfeed him to sleep and let him nurse in his sleep without cleaning his mouth afterwards he can get cavities. That's what my pediatrician said.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Rhiannon92
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:13 PM

My 2 year old nurses at night still and he has gotten some slight surface cavities which the dentist says looks like the beginning of "baby bottle mouth".. He said I should just wipe his teeth after he nurse so that is what I'm doing. He is weaning himself anyways..

Oh yeah, they only showed up recently..so if you are only breastfeeding for a year or so I don't see how you could do any damage. Breast milk in itself is anti-bacterial anyways. Just can't let it pool up around the teeth all the time. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:13 PM
Lol. This may sound stupid BUT, is there a form of boob rot?

Quoting mary841108:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:13 PM
2 moms liked this

Yes, you are in the clear. Most times it comes from a bottle being in the mouth all the time. I have never heard of a bf baby getting bottle rot.  My babies had bottles though, and they did not get bottle rot. I also "brushed" their teeth with a little baby toothbrush most of the time. Had to be quick..little teeth are sharp, it fit over the end of my finger LOL

Kimbyann
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:14 PM
1 mom liked this
He's wrong. There's an article on kellymom you should look at but I'm on a shitty phone so it'll take a year for me to post a link

Quoting livelaughlov26:

I was told if I breastfeed him to sleep and let him nurse in his sleep without cleaning his mouth afterwards he can get cavities. That's what my pediatrician said.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:15 PM
1 mom liked this

your ped is an idiot

Quoting livelaughlov26:

mary841108
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:16 PM

idk i never breastfed. but my kids' teeth were fine, i never let them take a bottle to bed

Quoting Anonymous:

Lol. This may sound stupid BUT, is there a form of boob rot?

Quoting mary841108:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:16 PM
I have one of those. I get scared every time I use it on him. Lol

Quoting Thelmama:

Yes, you are in the clear. Most times it comes from a bottle being in the mouth all the time. I have never heard of a bf baby getting bottle rot.  My babies had bottles though, and they did not get bottle rot. I also "brushed" their teeth with a little baby toothbrush most of the time. Had to be quick..little teeth are sharp, it fit over the end of my finger LOL

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:18 PM

LOL.  Once they get about a year or so old I switched to a soft bristle toddler toothbrush, and brushed their teeth for them. No more bitten Mommy fingers. LOL

Quoting Anonymous:

I have one of those. I get scared every time I use it on him. Lol

Quoting Thelmama:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)