Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Something that bothers me..

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:36 PM
  • 11 Replies

Ok so..people go to college in order to make a better living or better income...to go to college they have to take out some loans because they can't afford it...so after college they get a better paying job but they have all these loans to pay off...Doesn't that put most people back in the same spot as before :/ ? So I am currently in college and this bothers me so much when I think about it. I have been making payments of $115 a month toward my loans in hopes that maybe my monthly payment will be lower when I'm done..but starting in January I will not be able to make those payments anymore...my head is spinning thinking of this.

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CreziaMommyTo2
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:37 PM

IDK, my father paid for my college, no student loans nothing... my kids will get the same education, no loans...

college loans also usually arent paid off until after graduation and they can be deferred.

lovinmama411
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:39 PM

yes, but you can have the loans paid off pretty quickly if you plan it right and hopefully the job you get will have a big enough income gap (opposed to what you would be making otherwise) that even with the loan payments it will be worth it. There are hardship loan options too so if you don't get a job making what you thought and you qualify based on income, they won't take no more than (10% I think) of your monthly income. 

I know how ya feel though. I got 30 grand in loans right now and still have a year and a half left. Damned if you do, damned if you don't feeling sometimes.

yayasdaughter
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

IDK, my father paid for my college, no student loans nothing... my kids will get the same education, no loans...

college loans also usually arent paid off until after graduation and they can be deferred.

Yeah I know I don't have to pay them off until after graduation. & you are very lucky you have your father could afford to pay for your education..

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:45 PM

make sure the money you are paying now is going towards the principal and not the interest....otherwise the balance isn't going anywhere.

40sandPreg
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:51 PM
1 mom liked this

The hardship deferment is for federal student loans at 15% actually.  But depending on your degree that is still quite a bit of your income after taxes as well.

I helps to get a Bachelor of Science degree as opposed to a Bachelor of Arts, generally speaking.  Most liberal arts degree have a limited job field and much lower life-tme earning capacity.

I know most people SAY they either hate math or can not do it, but I've taught college level mathematics and the truth of the matter is most students that are having trouble simply do not practice or do enough homework.  If it is difficult you should do it over and over again, until you understand it.

Good luck to you.  Being a mom and going to school is hard.  I did it looooong before I thought about getting pregnant and it was hard, but also a great time of life.  Enjoy it while it lasts.

yayasdaughter
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:53 PM

I am going for my LPN first, then Associates in nursing, then my bachelors in nursing..One step at a time I guess. 

40sandPreg
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:58 PM

GOOD!  I don't want to demean any higher education (i.e literature, social science, etc. none are 'easy'), but nursing is great field and with booming prospects and there is always a need for more.  

Nurses generally make a lot more money than most people without a higher ed degree know.

Quoting yayasdaughter:

I am going for my LPN first, then Associates in nursing, then my bachelors in nursing..One step at a time I guess. 

TexanMomOf6
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Quoting yayasdaughter:

I hope you have spoken to the schools' counselors. I was told it was better to jump straight to bachelors/RN program. But as long as the classes you are taking counts toward the credits you need, it will be okay. Around here RN makes very good income and lots of places have sign on bonuses. It will be worth the college expense.

Jessica_Esqueda
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Most colleges give you 6 months to start paying. By then you should have a high enough paying job that the $100 a month isn't too painful. 

yayasdaughter
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Quoting TexanMomOf6:

Quoting yayasdaughter:

I hope you have spoken to the schools' counselors. I was told it was better to jump straight to bachelors/RN program. But as long as the classes you are taking counts toward the credits you need, it will be okay. Around here RN makes very good income and lots of places have sign on bonuses. It will be worth the college expense.

I'm doing it this way because at the community college I'm going to, if you have your LPN you qualify to get into the associates program..then after I get my associates I can work as an RN while earning my bachelors..that's how I'm planning it out anyway. This is what my academic advisor told me to do as well. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)