Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are online colleges a joke?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 120 Replies

I'm looking into going back to school but I want to do it online since I have young children at home still. Are online colleges worth it though? I have always heard they are not seen as real schooling. Thoughts?

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HipLikeJunk
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:01 PM

yes.

Greenstone920
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:02 PM
7 moms liked this

If the school is a part of an accredited college/university, that's one thing.  But the for-profit schools like University of Phoenix are a joke and no one will take your degree seriously.

mom2aspclboy
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Not if the program you are wanting is through an accredited college or university and not through a for-profit school.

Derari
by :::Achtung::: on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Yes. Forget university of Phoenix etc. perhaps look into a college in your area that offers things online...sometimes you just go in for exams.

lovinmama411
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:03 PM
2 moms liked this

I guess it depends. I went to University of Phoenix online, got an associates degree. Daycare would have cost $400 a week, so even though it was a little more expensive than a traditional college it actually saved me money when I added up daycare costs. 

After I got my associates degree, my youngest started kindergarten and I transferred all the credits to my local university. Now I go to a state university and have about a year left. All but one of the classes from UoP transferred to my current school. So to me, it was totally worth it and really put me ahead of where I would be had they not been available. 

mylovey
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:03 PM

I would avoid for-profit colleges that offer degrees online. Otherwise a great deal of colleges are now offering degrees online or mostly online. Also, when you receive your degree it will not say that you were an online student. 

Mommy to little Miss. Saylor, and little Mr. Finley. 

Greenstone920
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:04 PM
2 moms liked this

Best thing to do is to look into your local community college or state university, and see what courses they offer online for your desired degree.

thetrollcat
by Meow on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:04 PM

I think online classes are a joke also

mommyrustina
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Colleges that are solely online are typically a joke. However, most colleges/universities now offer degree programs that can be completed entirely online and anyone viewing your transcripts would never know the difference.

Jessica_Esqueda
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Totally worth it. I am transferring my BA from UoP to an on-campus college (night school!) for my MA. Everything is transferrable. Expensive? Yes. But the cost was worth it to me to be able to be with my kids. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured