Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Christmas @ the In-Laws...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies

I've been with my husband for 5 years now, married for almost 2. Every year we get gifts for our kids, each other, DH's brother, and our parents.

Now every year DH askes what they would like, and they ask him. Sometimes, they even ask me what he would like. Never have they asked me what I would like, or even so, asked my DH what I would like.

Now, I am not sitting here and bitching about not getting what I want for Christmas. I am simply expressing how hurt and rejected I feel from his family when every year, I see DH, his brothers, and his parents, all open their gifts and get nice things that they wanted or would like. While I sit there and open clothes from goodwill and some puzzle books. Or a waffle maker & waffle mix.

Does anyone else feel the same way about Christmas with your SO's family?

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:46 PM

bummmmmp

mommybug77
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:47 PM
They only ask what our girls want. I usually get cash, PJs and maybe body wash. I don't mind.
NoahandEliza
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:53 PM
My mil is a large woman. I guess because I'm quite a bit smaller than her, she automatically assumes I'm a *size* small. Not so much. Every year, no matter how many times I tell her, she gets me small clothes from the juniors section. My boobs haven't squeezed into a small shirt since I was 12! I guess I should be flattered, but it gets a little old returning gifts every year.

I understand why that would be hurtful. Maybe have your dh slip in something you would like next time he talks to his mom about Christmas?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
OrientalLily
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:54 PM
They never ask what I want. They just give me $50 and call it a day. I call it lazy...
-42-
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:57 PM
His aunt whose house we would go to decided to stop doing dinner and such. His dad and stepmom are just.....we haven't went there in years. His grandparents pretty much raised him, so I considered them my MiL and FiL. They're sadly no longer with us.

So this year, I don't have to deal with in-laws. At all. Merry Christmas to me!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LeiahAsh2012
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:00 PM
Have you talked to them about how you feel?

Our parents(mine and Dh's) are loving and generous so I have never had this issue. Good luck hun.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Deal with this every year.  The best part is watching everyone get something cool and think yay this year will be different.  Then I open a box to find a set of her old snowman silverware she heard me say was cute once.  That was last year.  Fun times.

Kaylawv2
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:03 PM
Thankfully we avoid my inlaws during holidays.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:03 PM
I would break the ice and ask what they would like from you. Even if you and dh give them a gift from the both of you, it might spur them to ask you what you might like.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:05 PM
My hubby's mom gets us on big gift for both of us but she always gets him a lot of extra stuff like nice clothes Cologne movies....and me I get childish PJ's weird things like a Hood that can attach to any jacket and that's it but sometimes she does good for my bday and sometimes doesnt like this year she got me nice boots but last year she got me a shower curtain and bath mat of animals pooping and showering in the woods cause she thought it would help my son potty train lol I'm like my bday not his training gift lol oh well my hubby's gifts usually make up for it!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)