Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ready for a bashing, to those who do Extended BFing...yuck

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 381 Replies
13 moms liked this

ETA: Putting this edit at the top, yes leaving my original post but I want to say one thing SORRY IF I OFFEND ANY ONE WITH THIS POST

I know I'm going to get a ton of bashing for this so I went anonymous but I seriously need to know why people do this. Honsetly I can't see a reason to breastfeed past a year old but when its getting on 2 years and more, what the hell? Not only do kids this age get most of their nutrition from actual food, but why not pump if you insist on continuing to feed your kid breastmilk.

I am totally for BFing but for so long? Its not so much I find the feeding of breastmilk disgusting after this age but the fact that a woman is still feeding from the breast when the kid is up and running and talking. Especially when you get on to 3 years old why would you continue to do this? Besides the fact that I think it is disturbing (and some moms even go to 5 freakin years!) doesn't the teeth hurt? How often do you continue to do this? If a kid has a whole mouth of teeth they should not be suckling, even animals don't feed their babies after they get a mouthful of teeth.

Also how do you do this in public without exposing your whole top half? A kid that age is getting pretty big, or do you only do it at home? How much BM do you still produce and what sense does it make when the kid should be eating real food? I can at the very least see pumping some instead of cow's milk, but to pop out your boob for a kid who can come up and say "milk mommy", I mean really? And not to sound selfish but why would you want to breastfeed for so long, always having to worry about leaking and aching boobs etc when the kid is old enough to eat healthy food rather than breastmilk.

Part of me feels that women who breastfeed this long are lacking something in their relationship or are lonely and the ones who go to 3+ years I think must have something wrong in the head to want a child that age at their boob. Heck you are potty training them by then (well most people are around 2 years or so) if you are taking them out of diapers why are you still breastfeeding. I almost think people who go this long breastfeeding want to feel needed so they keep at it. Go ahead Extended breastfeeders bash, tell me your reasons and explain away all you want. Get mad for all I care, mostly I'm just curious why. Again I am way for breastfeeding but some people just do it too long.

ETA: I don't know why everyone was freaking over the paragraph, on my screen it isn't that long...Anyway also edited to add. Ok, maybe I should have said things "nicer" But hey I'm not telling you what I think you should do, do it if you want, I'm stating an opinion but also asking questions. I knew I'd get bashing regardless. Once again I am not against breastfeeding, I said past 2 to me is extended breastfeeding and gets in the weird catagory, and I couldn't do it past 1 year. And yes I did breastfeed, I AM NOT AGAINST BREASTFEEDING.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
winkyloafer
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:48 PM
3 moms liked this

When I think of extended breastfeeding, I kind of think of a titty luge.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:49 PM
AMEN !!!!!!!!
MrsRinehart2010
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:49 PM

my 2 year old is exnted bf due to a rythmic issue that causes her to not be able to to take a bottle or sippy so im still 95 of her  liquds.

MurphyTTC
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:51 PM
18 moms liked this
I can't stand ignorance. Sigh
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
summerbear
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:52 PM
DS is 16 months old and he will not stop getting on. He will pull my shirt and scream and fuss til he gets it. I hate it! When he does get it, he sucks for 5 times and then he is done. Or he just wants me to pull it out and lay on it exposed. I am all for my kids to self-wean but his daytime habits are starting to upset me!

At night he will nurse himself to sleep and I am ok with that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Ok, I don't know what that is, she can't drink from a bottle or be helped with a sippy to drink? I'm sorry. What happens as she gets older? I'm just curious not being mean because I don't know what a rythmic issue is and I'm curious if its something that can get better as she gets older or how she is going to get fluids when she gets older.

Quoting MrsRinehart2010:

my 2 year old is exnted bf due to a rythmic issue that causes her to not be able to to take a bottle or sippy so im still 95 of her  liquds.

PresleyLove
by Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:53 PM
That was the longest post written. Wasted.
LntLckrsCmQut
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:54 PM
6 moms liked this

I think it's more disgusting to make a post without paragraph breaks.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:54 PM
7 moms liked this
I agree. I especially think it is wrong when the child is old enough to remember. Who wants to remember sucking on their moms breast.... talk about therapy for life
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TattoodMommy19
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:55 PM
9 moms liked this

Guess how old she is!

That's right, 1
She will self wean.
:P
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured