Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ready for a bashing, to those who do Extended BFing...yuck

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

ETA: Putting this edit at the top, yes leaving my original post but I want to say one thing SORRY IF I OFFEND ANY ONE WITH THIS POST

I know I'm going to get a ton of bashing for this so I went anonymous but I seriously need to know why people do this. Honsetly I can't see a reason to breastfeed past a year old but when its getting on 2 years and more, what the hell? Not only do kids this age get most of their nutrition from actual food, but why not pump if you insist on continuing to feed your kid breastmilk.

I am totally for BFing but for so long? Its not so much I find the feeding of breastmilk disgusting after this age but the fact that a woman is still feeding from the breast when the kid is up and running and talking. Especially when you get on to 3 years old why would you continue to do this? Besides the fact that I think it is disturbing (and some moms even go to 5 freakin years!) doesn't the teeth hurt? How often do you continue to do this? If a kid has a whole mouth of teeth they should not be suckling, even animals don't feed their babies after they get a mouthful of teeth.

Also how do you do this in public without exposing your whole top half? A kid that age is getting pretty big, or do you only do it at home? How much BM do you still produce and what sense does it make when the kid should be eating real food? I can at the very least see pumping some instead of cow's milk, but to pop out your boob for a kid who can come up and say "milk mommy", I mean really? And not to sound selfish but why would you want to breastfeed for so long, always having to worry about leaking and aching boobs etc when the kid is old enough to eat healthy food rather than breastmilk.

Part of me feels that women who breastfeed this long are lacking something in their relationship or are lonely and the ones who go to 3+ years I think must have something wrong in the head to want a child that age at their boob. Heck you are potty training them by then (well most people are around 2 years or so) if you are taking them out of diapers why are you still breastfeeding. I almost think people who go this long breastfeeding want to feel needed so they keep at it. Go ahead Extended breastfeeders bash, tell me your reasons and explain away all you want. Get mad for all I care, mostly I'm just curious why. Again I am way for breastfeeding but some people just do it too long.

ETA: I don't know why everyone was freaking over the paragraph, on my screen it isn't that long...Anyway also edited to add. Ok, maybe I should have said things "nicer" But hey I'm not telling you what I think you should do, do it if you want, I'm stating an opinion but also asking questions. I knew I'd get bashing regardless. Once again I am not against breastfeeding, I said past 2 to me is extended breastfeeding and gets in the weird catagory, and I couldn't do it past 1 year. And yes I did breastfeed, I AM NOT AGAINST BREASTFEEDING.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:48 PM
Replies (311-320):
Cristie0911
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 2:40 AM
Also, if you are talking about Dental eruption natural weaning, that could be up to ages 7 or 8. If I see that, I'll call CPS and I don't care who says its "natural"
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Misery_Stitches
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 2:42 AM
If you can, research soy and hormones. Id post a few links but Im mobile.

Also doctor said that goat is actually very similar to cow milk and many of his patients have found to not be able to have either so we decided to not even try it.

Quoting Anonymous:

How is giving soy milk compare to a contraceptive pill? I'm just curious, never heard that before. I have always heard good things about soy milk. What about goat's milk (honestly not sure if you can even buy that in the store)? I would think they would have something that a child could drink equivalant to milk, but I honestly dont know what I'd do if I found out my baby couldn't have dairy at that age.Im all dried up now lol and she's only 7 months. I would have liked to breastfeed til she was 1, but work called, ironic that now I am staying home. She was 8 weeks when I had to go back and no way to pump and store, used to have an awesome supply... 

Quoting Misery_Stitches:

He is 2 1/2.

Soy is very bad for you actually. It would be equivalent to giving my son the contraceptive pill. We do almond milk for cereals etc but my doctor recommended bfing rather than drinking almond milk as a substitute because even though it is "ok" it is not nutriently adequate to be a full time milk substitute

Quoting Anonymous:

Just curious how old he is? You can give soy or almond milk too, it is much better than cow's milk. Not saying he shouldn't breastfeed, just asking and stating a fact. I do know direct breastfeeding is much easier than pumping.

Quoting Misery_Stitches:

My son is allergic to dairy. So to get the healthy fats he still drinks from the breast. Which is also heaps healthier than dairy and has so many more benefits too.

We have dropped a lot of feedings though since I returned to work. We are down to only once or twice a week. Recently he has been sick a lot so I actually tried pumping yesterday for the first time in over a year to try and sneak more milk into him for immune system benefits. And from both breasts I got a total of about 2 ml LOL. It is far easier to feed straight from the breast!

Kris_PBG
by Gold Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 2:43 AM
Quoting sdunaway08:

I hope your plan works out for you.

While pg, my goal was one year, but once bfing was established and I survived pumping while working f/t, I researched the benefits to stopping and continuing.

The benefits to continuing were huge and bfing was easy at that point, so it was clear for me the decision.

You will probably find pumping past the first year is rarely effective, a huge time commitment and just not typically feasible.

I was very surprised how my feelings changed from what I THOUGHT bfing would be like - and the realities.

I'm sorry if I came across harshly - I am laying here miserable with insomnia and that probsbly came across in my tone.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 13, 2012 at 2:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't like to waste much time on people who have to hide their views behind the anonymous button.

But for a starting point, about every sentence contained a myth and/or false statement.

Then why even start with me? Why "waste your time"? Or, is it that you can't back anything you say up? Yes, I think that's the more likely scenario. :-P

BTW, I am not the only one here who thinks BFing a 4 year old is ridiculous.

I almost never use the anon button, but no WAY in hell am I posting under my sn for this. NO WAY. So not worth it for this topic.

Mrs.DebB
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 2:47 AM
1 mom liked this
My ds2 is almost 2 1/2 and I still nurse him frequently. I will be somewhat pleased when he is done, because between 3 kids, I have been nursing for the better part of the last 7 years.
That being said, I do it because it is amazingly healthy for him, because it comforts him, and because he wants to do it. He's been potty trained for 6 months now and he can (and does) ask for "boobie". I wear an undershirt so that my stomach is covered when I lift up whichever side of my shirt.

He can (and does) eat a variety of other foods. For him, breastmilk is supplemental nutrition, the way some people feed their kids pediasure, except breastmilk is perfectly suited to him and his nutritional needs.
As far as the "issue" with teeth is concerned, I believe several other ladies have pointed out that the teeth have no effect on nursing, if the latch is correct. You mentioned in your OP that animals stop nursing when their infants get teeth. This is only partially true. Many mammalian species are born with teeth. Usually the mothers nurse their young until the "milk teeth" are replaced with adult teeth, making a proper latch very difficult, if not impossible. Human "milk teeth" are commonly referred to as "baby teeth", so if the animal kingdom is our guide, perhaps we should be nursing longer. Lol

To the PP who asked why people take pictures of their kids nursing: I have a few pictures of ds2, I do it because the way he sits or the faces he makes while nursing are hilarious and adorable and he doesn't do it at any other time.

I would also like to point out that there should be nothing gross about breastfeeding, because that is precisely for what our breasts are made. There is nothing sexual about me feeding my baby/toddler/whatever.

At any rate, you can rest assured that I will continue to do what I feel and know to be best for my child, regardless of whether it grosses you out or not. Frankly, you are not my concern.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cristie0911
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 2:47 AM
Yes, but do you see adults at the nipple asking for it? It may have been proven as beneficial for cancer patients, but since I work with cancer patients and as a survivor myself, I can say its not mainstream and its not the normal course of treatment/preventative prescribed. However, there are many things considered beneficial to cancer patients.

Quoting justone_jen:

If you were educated, you'd know that the benefits of breastmilk don't magically disappear at some arbitrary age society deems appropriate.

They even use breastmilk for adult cancer patients! There are plenty of health benefits.

Quoting Cristie0911:

I'm very educated and I'm educated enough to know that there is little to no nutritional value to nursing a 4 year old child. At that point, it's more of a learned behavior for the child and an unhealthy behavior for the mother. I nursed until my son was a year.

Quoting Amybelle:

Quoting Cristie0911:

I agree 100% with OP

%100 Un-Educated

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 13, 2012 at 2:49 AM

Ok, I will do that. I didnt realize goat milk was that similar because I've heard of lactose intolerant people being able to drink it. I'll look into that too. Part of why I am curious is also because I wonder what lactose intolerant people do and those who are vegan and won't comsume anything from an animal. I suppose in those cases maybe just vitamins, I'm sure in a child that age it wouldn't be enough though... I don't know.

I mean there are other ways to get those nutriants, different kinds of veggies and such, fats from meant, etc. but I suppose that would depend. I think I need to go to bed now, I think my spelling is getting worse lol. Thank you for your posts though. :)

Quoting Misery_Stitches:

If you can, research soy and hormones. Id post a few links but Im mobile.

Also doctor said that goat is actually very similar to cow milk and many of his patients have found to not be able to have either so we decided to not even try it.

Quoting Anonymous:

How is giving soy milk compare to a contraceptive pill? I'm just curious, never heard that before. I have always heard good things about soy milk. What about goat's milk (honestly not sure if you can even buy that in the store)? I would think they would have something that a child could drink equivalant to milk, but I honestly dont know what I'd do if I found out my baby couldn't have dairy at that age.Im all dried up now lol and she's only 7 months. I would have liked to breastfeed til she was 1, but work called, ironic that now I am staying home. She was 8 weeks when I had to go back and no way to pump and store, used to have an awesome supply... 

Quoting Misery_Stitches:

He is 2 1/2.

Soy is very bad for you actually. It would be equivalent to giving my son the contraceptive pill. We do almond milk for cereals etc but my doctor recommended bfing rather than drinking almond milk as a substitute because even though it is "ok" it is not nutriently adequate to be a full time milk substitute

Quoting Anonymous:

Just curious how old he is? You can give soy or almond milk too, it is much better than cow's milk. Not saying he shouldn't breastfeed, just asking and stating a fact. I do know direct breastfeeding is much easier than pumping.

Quoting Misery_Stitches:

My son is allergic to dairy. So to get the healthy fats he still drinks from the breast. Which is also heaps healthier than dairy and has so many more benefits too.

We have dropped a lot of feedings though since I returned to work. We are down to only once or twice a week. Recently he has been sick a lot so I actually tried pumping yesterday for the first time in over a year to try and sneak more milk into him for immune system benefits. And from both breasts I got a total of about 2 ml LOL. It is far easier to feed straight from the breast!

Kris_PBG
by Gold Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 2:49 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

Lol - I haven't read your little post in a while now, but u do remember very inaccurate information about bfing being for the mother, not the child and a range of other predictable myths.
lovemybambino
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 2:50 AM
1 mom liked this
People are getting so riled up about this, lol. Holy shittt, calm down. If you believed you had a valid reason for doing it, then why can't you answer the post maturely? Why are people flipping out? Hahaha my god. I wouldn't do it myself, but this girl was asking about it and was curious. So why are there so many people calling her ignorant?? Let me guess, you're all the smartest people in the world. Give me a break.
Cristie0911
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 2:51 AM
At what age is it Inappropriate to give a child your nipple? Can you answer that? Many people here are blaming societal standards, but I'd like to hear from all of you that EBF. What age do you consider "inappropriate"? Would you nurse your 12 year old if you were producing milk for another child? It's beneficial.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured