Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are they doing enough or not?

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:19 PM
  • 21 Replies

MEMPHIS, TN -

(WMC-TV) - A Memphis mom said she went to pick up all the toys she had on layaway at Toys 'R' Us only to find out they had been sold to someone else.

Shipments trucks are coming at Toys 'R' Us everyday to guarantee customers get exactly what they want, but Sherry Strauser said even though she paid in advance - she walked away with only half of her layaway. 

As part of the Christmas season most every parent is on a mission: Operation make your child smile.

"It's not about me, it's about my kids, it's about what my kids want," said Strauser. 

Strauser thought her mission was complete after she shopped early, put her items on layaway and made every payment on time. 

But it was when she went to pick up her items at this Toys 'R' Us off Winchester that she ran into a problem.

"He said,'ma'am this is the only one you have' and I said 'no I had two' and he said 'well this is the only one you've got here and it's all you're getting,'" said Strauser.

Strauser said her toys were there but not her electronics.

Frustrated with what she calls a lack of customer service, Strauser contacted Action News 5's chief consumer investigator Andy Wise.

While Strauser said she's still waiting for a refund, Andy was able to get answers for at least one other customer.

"Within 24 hours the district manager of Toys 'R' Us contacted this woman and assured her that not only would she be reimbursed but she would also receive these items at no cost," said Wise.

Turns out Strauser wasn't the only customer from this particular Toy 'R' Us to complain about a layaway missing in action.

Wise said if you are going to do a layaway, it's you're responsibility to make a deposit and make your payments on time but the store must also play by their own rules.

"If you do make that deposit and you're making those payments on time, that is your product and if the store sells it or restock a it, they might as well be selling stolen merchandise," he said. 

Action News 5 contacted Toys 'R' Us for a statement but have not yet heard back. 

Strauser said she has been offered a store credit and refund but she says that's simply not enough.

This mother says that replacing the items at no charge and store credit and refund are not enough? Do you think she is being greedy? What more could the store do? Would you be happy with what the store offered or want more to be done?

Photobucket

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anotherhalf
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:21 PM
I would be satisfied with what the store offered and I'd move on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:23 PM
I've worked for Toys R Us, it's a crappy company to work for. That being said, their offer to her is generous, I understand her frustrations (who wouldn't) but really, the problem is being resolved, even if the company is a crappy one (not only to employees but customers as well).
justone_jen
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I think that's a reasonable offer. I would be happy with it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Alison_C
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:24 PM
2 moms liked this
She's totally being greedy
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angie729
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:25 PM

It sounds like to me she is being greedy and out to get what she can. Turning a mole hill into a mountain. I was shocked she even called the news on this.

Quoting Anonymous:

I've worked for Toys R Us, it's a crappy company to work for. That being said, their offer to her is generous, I understand her frustrations (who wouldn't) but really, the problem is being resolved, even if the company is a crappy one (not only to employees but customers as well).

Photobucket

Gemma06
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:26 PM
1 mom liked this
This!

Quoting anotherhalf:

I would be satisfied with what the store offered and I'd move on.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
monshine2
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:26 PM
1 mom liked this

If the store was willing to give me free products, I take it!

crazymom21
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah she's being greedy. More than generous.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:27 PM

I would be happy with what they offered. What does she expect?

angie729
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Personally I think she is taking the situation way to far and trying to use it to see what she can get. Greed!!

Quoting Anonymous:

I would be happy with what they offered. What does she expect?

Photobucket

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)