Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How do you teach your child compassion?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 166 Replies
2 moms liked this
What things do you do to teach your child to be compassionate to others? Example do you volunteer, give to charity, or do you just talk to your children about how some are less fortunate. I'm trying to teach my son that some children don't have food, clothes, a home, and toys. I donate and when I can volunteer but my son doesn't see these things.

Yesterday I took him to donate toys to toys for tots and he threw the biggest fit. He is only 5 and I tried to explain but he said that there are no kids like that. How would you teach your child that yes there are kids suffering?
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HipLikeJunk
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:12 AM
3 moms liked this

show them horrible infomercials on starving children

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:14 AM
My son just kind of knew. I always donated old clothes and toys so I guess he was used to it. When we were hit by Sandy his school was doing a food drive and he wanted to take every canned food we had to give to those that lost everything. He's 6.
kristiansmommy1
by Amanda on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:16 AM
Idk, I teach him about it and he does see me give to charity like at the grocery store and at the dollar store I always donate a toy when they're doing the boxes, but I still don't think he actually realizes how bad some people have it. I wanted to take him and volunteer on Christmas somewhere but I can't find anywhere that he could come
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kitschy
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:18 AM
1 mom liked this
I volunteer and collect things for the local homeless shelter. They pick out the toys to donate. We also have cupcake days when we give out free cupcakes to our neighbors. When we get the first big snow fall every year we walk around with hot chocolate for the people shoveling snow. It's like a way of life for us. The kids have never known anything different. My 4 year old knows the name of our local homeless shelter and recognizes it when we get there. Like anything else it just takes time and consistency. :) he'll catch on if you keep at it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
82ndairbornewif
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:20 AM
1 mom liked this
My children get it. We talk about things alot, we also lead by example.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
YzmaRocks
by Ruby Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:21 AM
5 moms liked this
By example.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
thinkpink2012
by Bronze Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:22 AM
My son has grown up volunteering. My parents run a food bank where they live and he is always down there helping out when we are in town. He also does toys for tots and angel tree every Christmas. He knows that the toys he picks out go to a little boy or girl who don't have any. He also cleans his toybox out and closet out and puts all his gently used items in a box for the food bank. He will be 6 in January and in his short little life he has learned compassion. Even at school now, when he gets things for school he always wants extra so if someone doesn't have one he can give them one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:22 AM
I don't for the most part. I teach them to take care of themselves.
momof3jam
by Platinum Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:39 AM
2 moms liked this

My kids already know about people less fortunate, because we were one of those families (although always somehow came through for the holidays). So they know what it's like to go without, and don't like to hear about others going through it. I have to watch my son because whenever he sees a donation box, he wants to empty out his wallet. And while this is a great gesture, he is learning that he also has to take care of his own needs. It's a delicate balance. He still always gives some money though, and feels great about it. He also offered to help the woman down the street. She's elderly, has no one except her dogs, and he likes to go keep her company, take out her trash, etc. all on his own.

athompson2189
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:53 AM
1 mom liked this

we go through her toys and donate them to the family shelter. just took 5 sacks full of clothes and toys and shoes! She was actually really happy trying to give away all her stuff to others who needed it. She is 4! very proud of her!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)