Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Was this a miracle or just pure luck? I want to know what the non religion gals think about this

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Last weekend my 5 month old son was making noises in his crib. So I went to go check on him and found the cord of the monitor wrapped all around his neck. Luckily, it was lose so nothing bad happened to him.

He was fine but I think that God and Angels were watching over him when this happened.

When my son was 3 months and wasn't mobile my SO put the monitor in the far corner of the crib.

He thought it would be fine and I trusted him judgement.

But as Sam got older and started moving around alot more, I'm guessing what happened is he saw the light on the monitor and was interested in it. So he held it thinking he could chew on it and rolled over and that's how the cord got wrapped around his neck.

My SO is an atheist. When I asked him, don't you think that there's a God now? I mean our son could have easily choked on that cord and died and I think that God was watching over him.

His answer was: no, there isn't a God. It would be a different story if Sam was an infant and that happened to him.

I don't know, I still think that God and the Angels watched over our son that morning.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:25 AM
Replies (41-50):
sissyboogs
by Platinum Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:41 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't think it was God or a miracle. I think it was luck or intuition. I think there are things we can't consciously explain, and I think people use God as a way to explain those things because it makes it make sense in their (your) mind, but that doesn't prove that God exists. 

Several years ago, we used an electric heater in our living room, but we plugged it into an outlet just around the corner in the kitchen. This electric heater was one of the "safe" ones that would automatically shut off if it tipped over, the surface didn't get hot, etc.....We specifically got that model because our son was an infant, and it was supposed to be safe. The outlet that we had it plugged into was the same outlet we used to plug in the battery charger for our camera. One day, I decided to charge the camera batteries. They weren't dead. I wasn't planning on using the camera anytime soon. I still have no idea why I decided the batteries needed charged right that moment, but I did. And, it's a good thing because the plug for the heater was throwing sparks and the outlet was black. It was getting ready to catch on fire. Who knows what could have happened if I hadn't decided (for no logical reason) to charge the batteries right that moment. 

That's what I'm talking about. I can't really explain that. Was it intuition? Some unconscious thought? What caused me to decide the batteries needed charged right that moment (even though they weren't even dead) and in turn caused me to notice it was getting ready to catch fire? Some might say it was God and a miracle, but I don't think so. Just because I can't consciously explain it doesn't mean it's evidence of a supernatural being. 

Sorry....that got really long....I'm glad you found your son in time before anything tragic happened though. Next time, be smarter about where you keep cords. 

Jalestra
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:42 AM
5 moms liked this

You got lucky.

My husband was praying for gas money to go to work back when he first lost his job. I mean we were hurting pretty bad and it was getting rather desperate and when he opened his eyes he saw a $100 (bill) laying on the ground. He said it was God..I said so God essentially stole $100 from someone so that we can have gas money? 

It's all in how you look at it. You may see it as providence, but some of us don't. Even if I did believe, why would I want to believe in a god that stole money from other people for our benefit..and it's insane to believe that any god is materializing cash on the spot, because now he's screwing with the economy.

echoishername
by Gold Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:42 AM
2 moms liked this
Lol @ miracle credits.

I think YOU, as parents, made a bad choice. What makes your baby more important in god's eyes? You got lucky.

Quoting angevil53:

Well so if he was suffocated then it would be God's fault too then right? I don't get how bad things happen it's just his will but when bad things don't happen he gets miracle credits.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:43 AM
2 moms liked this
In the bible he says he knows us better than we know ourselves, down to every last hair on our head. Not having full faith in that is what brings doubts.

Quoting Anonymous:

I am a christian but I believe in a slightly different way than most. See, I think God has less interventions than people would like to give him credit for. I don't think he has his hands in every little aspect of our lives. I do believe he will intervene if necessary, but not for little stuff. There is no way to know if he is responsible for this. You may never know. Perhaps your child might have died and that didn't fit into the plan so he stopped it. Or perhaps it just is what it is. You walked in on time to unwrap the cord. 

I will give you advice, you can take it or leave it. It has served me well. Stop looking for miracles in every thing in life. If you try to give credit for those things that aren't true miracles then the non believers can shake your faith and in a time of weakness you will doubt. 

Just be happy in knowing that everything that happens to you and yours is already mapped out. There is a plan. 

echoishername
by Gold Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:43 AM
4 moms liked this
Maybe god is in the counterfeiting racket ;)

Quoting Jalestra:

You got lucky.

My husband was praying for gas money to go to work back when he first lost his job. I mean we were hurting pretty bad and it was getting rather desperate and when he opened his eyes he saw a $100 (bill) laying on the ground. He said it was God..I said so God essentially stole $100 from someone so that we can have gas money? 

It's all in how you look at it. You may see it as providence, but some of us don't. Even if I did believe, why would I want to believe in a god that stole money from other people for our benefit..and it's insane to believe that any god is materializing cash on the spot, because now he's screwing with the economy.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:43 AM
4 moms liked this
Putting a obvious strangulation hazard with a baby.

Quoting Anonymous:

What's dumb?

Quoting Anonymous:

Nope but that was really dumb...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Well we all make mistakes don't we? Hopefully most of us will learn from thank, thank God her baby is OK,that's all that matters.

Quoting Anonymous:

Putting a obvious strangulation hazard with a baby.

Quoting Anonymous:

What's dumb?

Quoting Anonymous:

Nope but that was really dumb...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:45 AM
2 moms liked this

I agree with your DH. It wasn't God, it was luck. You were lucky to be nearby. God isn't responsible for everything, and as soon as people learn that the world will make a lot more sense. Your DH was responsible for putting the monitor in there (good intentions of course), your DS was curious and looked at it wanting to explore (natural instincts), and you were being a good mom and staying nearby (again, mothers' instincts). I don't even see how God would fit into this equation.

Sekirei
by Nari on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:46 AM
1 mom liked this
I believe in many gods. However they do not intervene in situations like that. It was mother's intuition that is all.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 15 on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:46 AM
2 moms liked this
I think you recognized that the noises he was making weren't typical, so you investigated.

But if you want to give credit to an imagenary super being living in the sky instead of your own instincts, than who am I to judge?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN