Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How long do you keep....

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

your children in a rear facing carseat?

A forward facing seat? 

A Booster?

Im a stickler when it comes to carseats. My 4 year old is still in a forward facing 5 point harness because she still fits perfectly fine. 

I know some parents whom have their 3 and 4 year olds in booster seats. 

I know some extremely lazy parents who have their kids that are 4 years and up in no booster seats! Makes me so mad. 

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:14 PM
Replies (11-20):
kristiansmommy1
by Amanda on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:35 PM
His dr said high back was fine and gave me the carseat list with weights and ages bc his daycare used a high back and I thought he was too young but he was too big for their carseats. He is in a booster seat now, he's 6 but it's the no back one. We did get into a bad accident with the no back one last year, hit head on with an oil truck, there was no front end left on our jeep and the tires were sideways. Thankfully all He had a tiny bruise on his chest but I don't think it was the high back it would've been any different

Quoting MamaPeanut:

This is incredibly unsafe, you can literally kill your child.

NO child should be in a booster until at least 4 and 40 pounds, but realistically around age 6.

All kids need to be in a booster until at least age 8, but most need one until 10-12.

Quoting kristiansmommy1:

I rf till 1, ff till 3, high back till almost 5

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shay1327
by Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:42 PM
Rf - until they max out on height and weight, hopefully until at least 3

Ff- until they max out. My almost 5 year old is still harnessed and should continue for at least 1 more year.

Hbb- until they are the right height, weight, maturity to ride in just a seatbelt.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaPeanut
by Gold Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Your dr is an idiot And not a car seat tech. I would dump a dr who told me to risk my Child's life in a heartbeat!

I'm glad your son is ok, but I hope that was a wake up call for you to take his safety more seriously. A 6 year old needs a high back booster all the time.

And just in case you didn't know, any seat in an accident needs to be destroyed and replaced.

Quoting kristiansmommy1:

His dr said high back was fine and gave me the carseat list with weights and ages bc his daycare used a high back and I thought he was too young but he was too big for their carseats. He is in a booster seat now, he's 6 but it's the no back one. We did get into a bad accident with the no back one last year, hit head on with an oil truck, there was no front end left on our jeep and the tires were sideways. Thankfully all He had a tiny bruise on his chest but I don't think it was the high back it would've been any different

Quoting MamaPeanut:

NO child should be in a booster until at least 4 and 40 pounds, but realistically around age 6.

All kids need to be in a booster until at least age 8, but most need one until 10-12.

Quoting kristiansmommy1:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 13, 2012 at 10:20 PM

100% agree

Quoting MamaPeanut:

Your dr is an idiot And not a car seat tech. I would dump a dr who told me to risk my Child's life in a heartbeat!

I'm glad your son is ok, but I hope that was a wake up call for you to take his safety more seriously. A 6 year old needs a high back booster all the time.

And just in case you didn't know, any seat in an accident needs to be destroyed and replaced.

Quoting kristiansmommy1:

Quoting MamaPeanut:

Quoting kristiansmommy1:

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Dec. 13, 2012 at 10:22 PM

My kids are in forward facing car seats until they outgrow them.  We have the Frontier 85 so my six year old son is still in one.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 13, 2012 at 10:22 PM

thats awesome :) 

Quoting Shay1327:

Rf - until they max out on height and weight, hopefully until at least 3

Ff- until they max out. My almost 5 year old is still harnessed and should continue for at least 1 more year.

Hbb- until they are the right height, weight, maturity to ride in just a seatbelt.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 13, 2012 at 10:23 PM

More parents should do the same!

Quoting Dzyre1115:

My kids are in forward facing car seats until they outgrow them.  We have the Fronteir 85 so my six year old son is still in one.

butterflyk1ssez
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 10:23 PM

my  3 1/2 year old is 3'3 and 42 lbs. His frontier 85 in harness mode restrain shoulder buckles were too low under his shoulders. We had to remove the harness and how he is in the high back booster mode. It was a sad day for me.

If this next one is not as tall or grows as fast like his big brother did more than likely we will extend rear face as long as possible again.

Pregnancy Ticker

deputygirls28
by Gold Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 10:23 PM
Ff-till 1 and 20

She's 3 and is still in a 5point harness and she will be for a good amount of more time
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 13, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Im glad so many of you think about the safety of your children first, rather than what is more convienient for you :) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)