Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How long do you keep....

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

your children in a rear facing carseat?

A forward facing seat? 

A Booster?

Im a stickler when it comes to carseats. My 4 year old is still in a forward facing 5 point harness because she still fits perfectly fine. 

I know some parents whom have their 3 and 4 year olds in booster seats. 

I know some extremely lazy parents who have their kids that are 4 years and up in no booster seats! Makes me so mad. 

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:14 PM
Replies (81-88):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Dec. 14, 2012 at 9:44 AM
My oldest was in his infant carseat til 8months, then went to rf at 1, ff at 2 to 3.5. He then moved to booster with high back and is still in booster with high back.
My youngest was in his infant seat til 6months, rf til 1 year old, 2 year old
Ff and still is
MissMysteriouss
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 9:44 AM
RF until almost 4 years old.

FF in a 5pt harness until 7.

Highback booster until 8.

Backless booster until the seatbelt fits correctly without the booster.

I buy car seats with the highest height and weight limits, so I can keep them safe as long as possible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VarelaClan
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 9:46 AM
At least until 3 for rear facing, my almost 6 year old is still harnessed. My older 2 were harnessed until 9 & 8. I have small kids and don't want them submarining in a booster. My 2 1/2 year old only weighs 22lbs and my 5 year old only 34lbs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Dec. 14, 2012 at 10:16 PM
My 4.5 and 2.5 yr olds are both harnessed and ff. my 4 yo weighs enough for booster but he will sit in that carseat until he doesn't fit in it anymore. You can never be too safe especially with your kids.
RissyLee
by Platinum Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 10:17 PM
My son is still rf at almost 2 1/2
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cLanief
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 10:24 PM
My son rf'd till 1 and over 20. Harnessed till about 4?.. high back till 5ish or so? when he was tall enough to have the shoukder strap In the rIght spot....He's 6 1/2 and 50 lbs and in a no back booster.
My daughter rf'd till after 18mo till she kept getting her head knocked into the door frame getting her in and out plus she was barely over 20lbs then. She's 2 now. And about 23llb so she'll be in a harness a long time if she stays such a small little girl.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
southernwldchld
by Gold Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 11:59 PM

I'm honestly curious because I cannot find anything that says that using the seatbelt with the harness is dangerous. Maybe my google abilities are lacking? Not being tetchy, but just want to know?

They're tethered at the top and the bottom, the five point is buckled securely and the belt is fed through a guide so that it hits them at the correct spot. I know that seat belts can be harmful to children because in a crash they can shoot forward. But I haven't heard this.

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

Do you mean using the seatbelt AND the harness that the same time? If so, that is VERY dangerous! But I do understand about 1 and 20 being the norm back in the day. I turned my oldest at 20lbs (15mos) because that was what I thought I was supposed to do...That was 12yrs ago, so ERF was basically non-existent then. The chest clip thing is frustrating because it's essentially a discipline issue, but it's difficult when they're so young. I know a lot of people put The scratchy part of Velcro on the clip to deter kids from touching it...

Quoting southernwldchld:

With the exception of the younger two, that was just the standard. With the two youngers it became a safety issue. They could and would push the chest piece down and pull their arms through even on the tightest setting. It was all I could do to wait until 20 lbs for dd. Forward facing I could tether them, five point harness, and use the seatbelt over the front of the seat since their carseats have threads for the seatbelts, they convert to boosters after 100lbs. 

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

Other than the 1 and 20, KUDOS for your car seat practices! Sounds like you've done your research. May I ask why you turned them FFing so soon?

Quoting southernwldchld:

RF til 1 and 20 with all 5

13yo sat in a booster until she was 9.

9yo ds was in a 5 pt extended harness until he was 7, then booster, now seatbelt.

7yo ds was out of 5pts by 5 and still sits in a backless booster, weight wise he's fine but not height

5yo dd is in a 5pt extended and will remain in it until she either outgrows or turns 9, she's tiny

2yo soon to be 3yo ds is in a ff 5pt, he's built like 7 yo ds so I'm sure he'll hit the weight before height, he'll probably be in a high backed booster within the next couple of years.

*ETA almost 3yo is the same weight as my 5yo*

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Dec. 15, 2012 at 1:55 AM
The belt could put too much stress on the seat in the event of an accident. It's the same reason why you should never install with LATCH and the seat belt (through the traditional belt path) at the same time.

Quoting southernwldchld:

I'm honestly curious because I cannot find anything that says that using the seatbelt with the harness is dangerous. Maybe my google abilities are lacking? Not being tetchy, but just want to know?

They're tethered at the top and the bottom, the five point is buckled securely and the belt is fed through a guide so that it hits them at the correct spot. I know that seat belts can be harmful to children because in a crash they can shoot forward. But I haven't heard this.

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

Do you mean using the seatbelt AND the harness that the same time? If so, that is VERY dangerous! But I do understand about 1 and 20 being the norm back in the day. I turned my oldest at 20lbs (15mos) because that was what I thought I was supposed to do...That was 12yrs ago, so ERF was basically non-existent then. The chest clip thing is frustrating because it's essentially a discipline issue, but it's difficult when they're so young. I know a lot of people put The scratchy part of Velcro on the clip to deter kids from touching it...

Quoting southernwldchld:

With the exception of the younger two, that was just the standard. With the two youngers it became a safety issue. They could and would push the chest piece down and pull their arms through even on the tightest setting. It was all I could do to wait until 20 lbs for dd. Forward facing I could tether them, five point harness, and use the seatbelt over the front of the seat since their carseats have threads for the seatbelts, they convert to boosters after 100lbs. 

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

Other than the 1 and 20, KUDOS for your car seat practices! Sounds like you've done your research. May I ask why you turned them FFing so soon?

Quoting southernwldchld:

RF til 1 and 20 with all 5

13yo sat in a booster until she was 9.

9yo ds was in a 5 pt extended harness until he was 7, then booster, now seatbelt.

7yo ds was out of 5pts by 5 and still sits in a backless booster, weight wise he's fine but not height

5yo dd is in a 5pt extended and will remain in it until she either outgrows or turns 9, she's tiny

2yo soon to be 3yo ds is in a ff 5pt, he's built like 7 yo ds so I'm sure he'll hit the weight before height, he'll probably be in a high backed booster within the next couple of years.

*ETA almost 3yo is the same weight as my 5yo*

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN