Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

"She'll corrupt our festivities with her Atheism non-sense!"

Posted by   + Show Post

My DH just walked downstairs and informed me that we needed to "adjust" our holiday plans. He seemed upset but today has been an odd day..

He had been on the phone to his brother who had informed him that I was not invited to the Christmas gathering, they are having at their house on Christmas eve because I have demons. What?

I have been to their traditional Christmas eve get together for the last five years and it is something DD, DH and I look forward to. It is always a lot of fun and we end up creating a lot of great memories. I thought his family liked me and it's disheartening to know they think I have "demons". Again, what?

They drink, they gamble, they curse BUT Sunday's they go to church and on Wednesdays they hold a Bible study. I am an Atheist, a fact I thought they knew many moons ago. But SIL has decided that having me there this year would corrupt their festive occasion because of my beliefs as an Atheist.

I normally would just say "fuck it, we won't go and will do our own thing" but this maybe DH's mother's last Christmas and I can't take spending it with her away. I know there are places for me and DD to spend Christmas but it breaks my heart to know I won't be spending it with my husband.

Should I call SIL up and ask her to meet with me to discuss the issue? Just let DH go and DD and I go elsewhere or make DH stay home with his family (DD and I)?

by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:23 PM
Replies (41-50):
blue_elephant
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:45 PM
The way I see it is you are family and had been previously invited into the their activities in their family, so you should just go and if they say anything play dumb, tell them you didn't know they felt that way and you are sorry but you will not leave unless your husband and dd leave with you.
But this is just me and I'm kinda a bitch like that
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
blue_elephant
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:47 PM
This is why my in-laws don't know I'm atheist, they don't like me as it is better not give them any more reasons

Quoting soulofsunmama:

Awe,good ol religion at its highest!

That sucks, you should never ever be put in a situation like this:(

Invite her to your house, or just show up anyway.
Babujai
by Gold Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:48 PM

I'd discuss the issue with the SIL.

colbys_mom
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:49 PM
This

Quoting jillbailey26:

Wait, he's willing to go without you?  My husband wouldn't even begin to allow his family to treat me that way.  He'd either not go or set them straight and we'd all be going.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:50 PM

It was really disrespectful of you to excuse yourself during the grace.  Maybe that is what this is about. 

parentalrights1
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:52 PM
I wouldn't have squat to do with any of them. If hubby decides to go without you he sucks but I he chooses to have any contact with then after this it is up to him and the first time they tried to have religious influence over the kids (you know, to save them from your atheism) they wouldn't have alone time with kids ever again
smurfy88
by Gold Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:53 PM

spend christmas eve just you hubby and daughter and invite his mom over on christmas day.

soulofsunmama
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:53 PM
please,It is not that disrespectful, people *choose* to get butt hurt, but come on, even if she *did* do it on purpose, who the f%$k cares, it's her beliefs and her choice. But if something that trivial is enough to warrant THIS behavior, then who's actually being disrespectful....and consciously!

Quoting Anonymous:

It was really disrespectful of you to excuse yourself during the grace.  Maybe that is what this is about. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soulofsunmama
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:54 PM
Yes! I agree! Screw their B.S.

Quoting parentalrights1:

I wouldn't have squat to do with any of them. If hubby decides to go without you he sucks but I he chooses to have any contact with then after this it is up to him and the first time they tried to have religious influence over the kids (you know, to save them from your atheism) they wouldn't have alone time with kids ever again
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
parentalrights1
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:54 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

no sane persOn would exclude a family member from holidays over something so trivial. They are an arrogant bunch of zealots who think any non christian is evil and that's what is going on
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN