Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If Your Child Was Missing...

Posted by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 1:52 PM
  • 4 Replies

Wouldn't you try all forms of communication, in order to get the word out that your child has disappeared, in hopes of finding him and bringing him home safely?

I swear, some Mothers just baffle me. There is a mother who had posted in a facebook group I am part of that her son disappeared right before Thanksgiving, and hasn't been heard from since. She says that the local authorities know, but aren't doing anything about it since they don't believe he is in danger. He is 16, and apparently has been seen around town (just rumor, nothing concrete at this point in time).

Sorry, if it were MY child, I would be calling newspapers and TV stations, asking for people to help me find him. I am thinking the mom either wants attention, or there is something more to this that isn't being said.

What are your thoughts?

Christmas 2012

by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 1:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
DarlaHood
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this

My thoughts are that we think we know what we would do, but we really don't know unless we are put in that exact situation.  If he's 16, there may be a history of problems, she may have trouble even acknowledging the reality of some of those problems, and she may know that even if she finds him, he won't stay home. We really don't know what the whole situation is, and we aren't in it.  So I think we should be slow to judge.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 13, 2012 at 1:58 PM

I would if I thought they were taken. If my pain in the butt 16yr old was just running town I would kind of look stupid getting on the news.

I have a feeling this mom has an idea where he is and knows he will be back. It's not healthy but if she can't control him there is no point in dragging him home,

Gardeningmom4
by Ruby Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 1:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd rip the whole world apart to find my child.

CountryLayne
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Honestly, I'm not trying to judge. But her plea for help sounds more like a scream for attention. I had suggested that she contact media outlets to get his face out there. Maybe someone- anyone- has seen him or knows where he is. In return she acted like I hurt her, and called me childish. I've been in a similar situation- my daughter was kidnapped when she was 2 by her bio dad. It chaps my backside that people would be begging for help, then act like she has when an honest suggestion to help is made. She sounds like she is grasping for attention for herself, more than anything.

Quoting DarlaHood:

My thoughts are that we think we know what we would do, but we really don't know unless we are put in that exact situation.  If he's 16, there may be a history of problems, she may have trouble even acknowledging the reality of some of those problems, and she may know that even if she finds him, he won't stay home. We really don't know what the whole situation is, and we aren't in it.  So I think we should be slow to judge.

Christmas 2012

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)