Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DH says my frugality ruins gift giving from him.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 33 Replies

Last night DH and I were snuggling on the couch a little bit before DS wakes up from his nap. My DH starts in with a "I hope you know I appreciate you and try to show it daily but I don't feel like I can buy you gifts." He then goes on to say how he would like to get me pretty things and flowers etc but to him all I would see is the price tag on the gifts.

And it's true. It's not so much me being greedy and wanting him to buy me expensive stuff. No, it has to do more with I don't think he should spend money on me at all unless it's something I need. He also can't even sneak gift because I keep such a tight watch on our bank account.

I'm not really sure what to do. I don't get upset when I don't get presents. Everyday DH makes me feel loved and appreciate. So in comparison to that a silly present under the tree means nothing. But at the same time, I don't want things to be ruined for him either.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 13, 2012 at 6:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
areyouatroll
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 6:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like you need to lighten up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 13, 2012 at 6:04 PM
1 mom liked this
No advice. I am the same way.
702girly
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Can you work any mad money into your budget? Like an allowance that you each get in cash every week and you can do whatever you want with it?

Then if your husband buys you flowers with some of his, it won't show up in your bank account and it won't affect your budget because that was his money to spend as he wanted.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 13, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Quoting areyouatroll:

Sounds like you need to lighten up.

Lol easier said than done, sadly. Have any tips?

JZB
by Gold Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 6:05 PM
Do you budget in "free" $ me and dh get a set amount of cash each wk for whatever
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gonecrazi
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Sorry, I am the same way. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 13, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Quoting JZB:

Do you budget in "free" $ me and dh get a set amount of cash each wk for whatever

We don't. But this sounds like a good idea. We do have some wiggle room in our budget.

Supervane
by Ruby Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 6:07 PM
Aww stop being so critical towards him
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2priceboys
by Gold Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 6:07 PM

We are in the same situation. I would rather my guys (hub and sons) do things for me than buy me something in a box or flowers that will die lol now, I love flowers the pick or if it is a gift I might not complain about some jewelry hehehe anyway, I also keep tight reins on our finances because if not.....ugh.......and I don't want money spent frugally - you are not alone on this

brittney28
by Brittney on Dec. 13, 2012 at 6:08 PM
I'm right there with you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured