Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My son is 18 months old. Today, we were in Boston to go to a doctor's appointment so we had dinner out there. We're at the food court, and we were the only ones in our section. My son then turned away from us and was talking (or trying to talk because he can't really talk) to an empty section next to us. I mean there weren't any tables or chairs where he was talking. Then he started to nod his head and tried to hand over an apple slice and said "apppp?" which is his way of saying apple. My question is, is he too young to have an imaginary friend? What should I do? Should I bring it up to his pediatrician or just brush it aside?

by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 8:21 PM
Replies (11-20):
ZazaGoszzy
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 3:40 AM

yeah my only one.

Quoting aniters:

is he an only child? maybe he's lonely.
DS is an only child and sometimes he runs around our room laughing and "talking" but no one is there playing with him.

Quoting ZazaGoszzy:

lol it just all of a sudden happened! I was like, what the heck is he doing? lol

Quoting aniters:

I think its normal. DS is 12 months and I'm dreading the imaginary friends stage because it creeps me the fuck out >.

NowImAMom...
by Silver Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 3:42 AM
1 mom liked this
Sounds normal.
On a side note, I live in Ma too(:
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ZazaGoszzy
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 3:45 AM

Thanks :-) I'm not sure if some of the moms who replied were being sarcastic and rude or serious with their replies. My little cousins never had imaginary friends so I wasn't sure if he was too young. You live close to boston?

Quoting NowImAMom...:

Sounds normal.
On a side note, I live in Ma too(:

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Dec. 14, 2012 at 3:47 AM

Very Normal

ChickenTheChina
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 3:48 AM
You snarky, sarcastic bitches. Damn, she was asking a legitimate question.

Op, my kids are 6, 4, and 2, and they've never had imaginary friends, so I'm not sure. If you're curious or concerned, bring it up at the next check up just to get the doc's input. Maybe he WAS seeing a ghost?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ZazaGoszzy
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 3:50 AM

Thank you :-) I'm not going to say he was seeing a ghost, my family is very superstitious and I just don't want to deal with them if I said something like that. lol

Quoting ChickenTheChina:

You snarky, sarcastic bitches. Damn, she was asking a legitimate question.

Op, my kids are 6, 4, and 2, and they've never had imaginary friends, so I'm not sure. If you're curious or concerned, bring it up at the next check up just to get the doc's input. Maybe he WAS seeing a ghost?

bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Dec. 14, 2012 at 3:57 AM
2 moms liked this

where I live the first nation peoples believe that children can talk to spirits. there are a whole bunch of rules to follow and bad superstitions. its really neat. but they say the child talks to the spirit because they are still innocent and can see/interact with the spirits as though they were real people. so, for me, totally natural

ds1 and ds2 have done it, ds2 even recognized some of hte spirits. ds3 is still young, so I can't tell yet if he's talking to them. :)

3lilindians
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 4:02 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm one of those "weird" spiritual people others speak about and I will say, maybe he was seeing some one you couldn't and talking to them, no harm in it, it's normal. Small children are innocent and more able to have connections to the other side. I wouldn't be worried about it

Samantha_McKay
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 4:02 AM

All of the kids in my family have a spot in my mothers house where they do that. Also where the dog hates to go.

The kids all seem to turn and look into her walk in pantry, and once they were big enough they'd go in there and 'talk'. We believe in paranormal things though and just always assumed that he saw something we couldn't They say children and animals are more sensitive about those sorts of things.

But not everybody believes in that sort of thing though. In general it's pretty normal, I kow lots of kids who have done that,  and it doesn't mean they had imaginary friends later.

MumsTheWord571
by Platinum Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 4:04 AM
Normal.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN