Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My son is 18 months old. Today, we were in Boston to go to a doctor's appointment so we had dinner out there. We're at the food court, and we were the only ones in our section. My son then turned away from us and was talking (or trying to talk because he can't really talk) to an empty section next to us. I mean there weren't any tables or chairs where he was talking. Then he started to nod his head and tried to hand over an apple slice and said "apppp?" which is his way of saying apple. My question is, is he too young to have an imaginary friend? What should I do? Should I bring it up to his pediatrician or just brush it aside?

by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 8:21 PM
Replies (21-30):
RoseBlossom
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 4:08 AM
1 mom liked this

its normal when kids are younger to see things. they are more open to that coming from wherever we come from before we are born not being that long ago. the one thing that freaked me out is my oldest son used to be a baby and kept looking over my shoulder like he was looking at something and smiling at it, there was nothing there. and another time he was about 1 1/2 to 2 years old, we went to the old spaghetti factory and looked up with a terrified look on his face at the cieling, pointed at the ceiling and began crying hysterically. we prayed over him after that.

ZazaGoszzy
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 4:13 AM

I was a hard core believer in the paranormal in high school and college. I still believe, but not to the point where i was before. I don't want it to be that with him. I was just hoping it was an imaginary friend he made up because he's an only child and he doesn't really have many friends. He only has one friend he sees every 2 weeks or so.

Quoting Samantha_McKay:

All of the kids in my family have a spot in my mothers house where they do that. Also where the dog hates to go.

The kids all seem to turn and look into her walk in pantry, and once they were big enough they'd go in there and 'talk'. We believe in paranormal things though and just always assumed that he saw something we couldn't They say children and animals are more sensitive about those sorts of things.

But not everybody believes in that sort of thing though. In general it's pretty normal, I kow lots of kids who have done that,  and it doesn't mean they had imaginary friends later.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 14, 2012 at 4:14 AM
Lol. My kids never had one so I am not sure. They talk to themselves while playing but they have never had an imaginary friend.
melakay1981
by Platinum Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 4:27 AM

Shit like this has always creeped me out.  One time my daughter was playing in the playroom, she was about 7.  My son was about 3 came into the kitchen and I asked him what his sister was doing, he says "playing with pappy Clark".  My grand pap died when my daughter was 2!  My son had no idea who he was. 

melakay1981
by Platinum Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 4:28 AM

When my daughter was just a few weeks old I was changing her on the changing table and I swear her eyes followed something across the room and she started kicking her legs really fast.  Freaked me out pretty good.

Quoting RoseBlossom:

its normal when kids are younger to see things. they are more open to that coming from wherever we come from before we are born not being that long ago. the one thing that freaked me out is my oldest son used to be a baby and kept looking over my shoulder like he was looking at something and smiling at it, there was nothing there. and another time he was about 1 1/2 to 2 years old, we went to the old spaghetti factory and looked up with a terrified look on his face at the cieling, pointed at the ceiling and began crying hysterically. we prayed over him after that.

Samantha_McKay
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 8:21 AM

I mean you never know, it's all so very open to interpretation based on a number of things. However I will say every child I have ever known with an actual imaginary friend was closer to being 5ish-7ish in age. That said it could still be your child being very imaginative. He might have noticed something and been focused on it, but could have been talking to you.

I really wouldn't worry at all. And I personally wouldn't even mention it to a pediatrician, but if you still feel like you need the peace of mind you can always call your doctors office and ask to speak to their nurse practitioner and run it by them. For the little questions you don't have to make an appointment.

Quoting ZazaGoszzy:

I was a hard core believer in the paranormal in high school and college. I still believe, but not to the point where i was before. I don't want it to be that with him. I was just hoping it was an imaginary friend he made up because he's an only child and he doesn't really have many friends. He only has one friend he sees every 2 weeks or so.

Quoting Samantha_McKay:

All of the kids in my family have a spot in my mothers house where they do that. Also where the dog hates to go.

The kids all seem to turn and look into her walk in pantry, and once they were big enough they'd go in there and 'talk'. We believe in paranormal things though and just always assumed that he saw something we couldn't They say children and animals are more sensitive about those sorts of things.

But not everybody believes in that sort of thing though. In general it's pretty normal, I kow lots of kids who have done that,  and it doesn't mean they had imaginary friends later.

ZazaGoszzy
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 10:27 AM

I've decided that it's not too big of a deal. I wasn't sure from a mental point of view if he were too young for an imaginary friend, I remember reading somewhere that it wasn't normal for younger children to be talking to themselves or playing like he was... I just could remember what age it was and got nervous.

Quoting Samantha_McKay:

I mean you never know, it's all so very open to interpretation based on a number of things. However I will say every child I have ever known with an actual imaginary friend was closer to being 5ish-7ish in age. That said it could still be your child being very imaginative. He might have noticed something and been focused on it, but could have been talking to you.

I really wouldn't worry at all. And I personally wouldn't even mention it to a pediatrician, but if you still feel like you need the peace of mind you can always call your doctors office and ask to speak to their nurse practitioner and run it by them. For the little questions you don't have to make an appointment.

Quoting ZazaGoszzy:

Quoting Samantha_McKay:

momof3jam
by Platinum Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Interesting. My kids never did that. I'd bring it up to his pedi and see what she says. She'll probably say it's totally normal, but just to be on the safe side.

JoyfulinSD
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this
My son had imaginary friends, they all stopped talking to him years ago, mostly because he was an ass to them...
ZazaGoszzy
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 11:09 AM

lol I love this post! lol

Quoting JoyfulinSD:

My son had imaginary friends, they all stopped talking to him years ago, mostly because he was an ass to them...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)