Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meth addict

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 135 Replies
1 mom liked this

My sister who is 32 years old has been using meth for 10 years. She has times when she is clean for a while, but ends up going right back to smoking meth again. She has three kids, that she has lost custody of, and doesnt have any parental rights to the kids.Her oldest lives with her father and her other two are from a different guy and currently live with his mother because he is a meth addict also and is currently serving time in prison. Recently she got caught manufacturing meth and is facing 7 years in prison. She just got out of prison recently for possession of meth and shes right back to square one again. Im at a loss and don't know what to do!! She just continues to use..I've got her into rehab 5 times but she always gets out and continues to use again. I thought that maybe once she got clean in rehab, she would think about all of her poor babies that have no mother and change her life around..Has anyone ever been through anything like this before? Should I just cut her out of my life completely and let her do her thing? =( Thanks for any advice 

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 14, 2012 at 10:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 14, 2012 at 10:39 AM
4 moms liked this

I would just cut her out of your life. Theres only so much you can do for people. This is your life, not hers, dont let her bad choices affect you and your life.

cmendoza316
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 10:42 AM
2 moms liked this

Im sorry you have to go through this, but Honestly and I have been where you are at. There isn't anything you or anyone else can do to convince her to stop, that's the sad truth. She has to want it for her herself. All you can do is encourage her to stop, talk to her about her kids and hopefully she will have a change of heart. My advice to you though, is to please dont let your life get cought up in hers.

san78
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 10:43 AM
2 moms liked this

my dh was a heroin addict for 10 yrs +, many told me to leave etc, bt i stuck with him and hes been clean for around 16 months, free of methadone too.  i know my situation is different to you and your sister but i feel for you, i really do.  the one question you need the answer to is does she really want to give it up? if she doesnt, then theres no way you can  help her. yes you can be there to pick up the pieces time after time but its you thats having to deal with the down times.

wrensong
by Pagan Mother on Dec. 14, 2012 at 10:47 AM
1 mom liked this

It's tough to love an addict, especially one who has no desire to change. Only you can decide if/when to cut her out of your life.

For yourself, looking to Naranon meetings. It is for friends and families of addicts. It helped me deal with my husband's addiction problems

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 14, 2012 at 10:55 AM

My brother is on meth and is currently in jail and facing 14 years. At this point I feel it's probably for the best because I'm afraid he is going to kill himself or someone else. He also has a son he hasn't seen in about 5 years. I have no advice, but I'm sorry you are going through this. Meth is a horrible drug.

Dee0886
by Gold Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 10:56 AM

I'm the daughter of a severe alcoholic, and like your sister, my dad is a chronic relapser. She won't stay off of it unless she desperately wants to. We did have to cut my dad out for a long time until he could prove that he will stay sober. Even now my kids have limited contact because I'm just waiting for the day he drinks himself to death. He's been in rehab more times then I can count. He lost his job, freedom, family, homes, and just about everything else you can think of. He manages to pick himself up for a little while then falls into it again. It's a vicious cycle. Some overcome it, some dont, and many die from their addiction.

audreesmama
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 10:57 AM

I'm sorry, I don't know, but my brother's girlfriend is on meth and had a baby last night. I'm very worried for the child. I might cut her out of my life completely if I were you.

MamaTasha08
by Silver Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 10:59 AM

My sister is the same age and is very similar.  She has 2 kids that she has no parental rights to.  My sister has never been to prison, but she has been in and out of jail and hospitals.  I put up with her antics for years, but I finally had enough about a year and a half ago.  I cut off all contact because she was treating me horribly.  It was really starting to affect my life.  I have my own family and my own children and I just couldn't deal with her anymore.  I miss her so much, but my sister has been gone for a long time.  Do what you feel is right.

3Dani75
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Sorry but you can't force someone to get away from drugs when they obviously don't want to, they have to want it in order for it to work...now the decision to cut her out of your life is a hard one; do you want to continue watching her suffer through this, can you honestly cut off all ties without regret? 

This is a hard choice to make...maybe cutting her out of your life will open her eyes if she has no-one left OR it could be what sends her over the edge into worse behavior...tough love is sometimes called for though if you've tried everything else...good luck in however you decide to handle it :)

Wifeyy2Lette
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 11:02 AM
I deal with this with my bio-father. He ha been using since the 70's, he cooks it, sells it, does it. He's continuously in and out of prison and rehab, he's a horrible man.
I didn't want to cut him out of my life, he's my dad. My brothers both cut him out of their lives and I knew how much it hurt him and I just couldn't do it, no matter how much he has hurt me he is still my dad.
Well, when I was pregnant with ds he went back to prison and I said that's enough! My brothers told me that once I cut him out of my life, I'd be much happier and guess what? THEY WERE RIGHT!!!
I haven't talked to him in over a year and I don't plan on talking to him unless he is out and clean for a very long time, I don't need my son around him or knowing him. I know how it feels to have him here and then all of a sudden gone, it hurts so much!
My advice is to cut her out of your life until she is clean for at least 2 years.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured