Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Stop politicizing tragedy!

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 8:35 PM
  • 26 Replies

I'm hearing many people state that the answer to preventing another occurrence like what happened today in Newtown, CT is to deputize our teachers and expect them to carry firearms in the classroom. 

This is the most absurd thing I have heard yet. Absolutely ridiculous. We are now supposed to expect our already underpaid teachers to not only teach and parent our children, but to act as body guards as well? Bullshit. 

STOP Politicizing Tragedy! It's repulsive! This isn't about gun control, this is about taking preventative measures to ensure that nutjobs like this most recent douchebag don't have the means to get into the SCHOOLS!

by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 8:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
XJetX
by Gold Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 8:36 PM
I must have missed something...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 14, 2012 at 8:37 PM
Go open posts. Its all over. Disgusting trash.

Quoting XJetX:

teeloffel
by Gold Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 8:48 PM

BUMP!

jazzy411
by Jazmyne Lee on Dec. 14, 2012 at 8:52 PM
Are you calling her disgusting trash or the other posts?

Quoting Anonymous:

Go open posts. Its all over. Disgusting trash.

Quoting XJetX:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
teeloffel
by Gold Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 8:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Other posts I'm guessing. But, if it's me...who cares?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 14, 2012 at 8:55 PM
1 mom liked this
I have spoken to many friends that are teachers today and they would like to see security gaurds or police officers patrolling their schools to protect them and their kids. They signed up to educate children, not have to risk their lives.
teeloffel
by Gold Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 8:57 PM
1 mom liked this

That is what I would advocate as well. It is ridiculous to expect our teachers to act as armed guards for our children.  Teachers are meant to teach. It is our responsibility as a community and as a country (IMO) to ensure that both teachers and students are given a safe space both to teach and to learn. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I have spoken to many friends that are teachers today and they would like to see security gaurds or police officers patrolling their schools to protect them and their kids. They signed up to educate children, not have to risk their lives.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 14, 2012 at 8:59 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree. Besides, they already have so much to worry about on top of not being paid what they deserve to have to get a pistol permit and all that.

Quoting teeloffel:

That is what I would advocate as well. It is ridiculous to expect our teachers to act as armed guards for our children.  Teachers are meant to teach. It is our responsibility as a community and as a country (IMO) to ensure that both teachers and students are given a safe space both to teach and to learn. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SlightlyPerfect
It is one of the highest forms of arrogance for people to assume they can bestow forgiveness on someone else for their own self-inflicted maiming.
Today at 2:59 PM
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 9:01 PM

I saw that post, too. I love the way you used archetypes to define teachers' roles in this post. It's so true. Just let them be teachers.

slightlyperfect

teeloffel
by Gold Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Thank you. I'm just so disturbed and disgusted by how it seem that now days parents seem to expect a teacher to do *everything*; educate, reprimand, discipline (but not too much) and now lay down their lives for our children - all for, what? $24,000.00 a year?  Bullshit.   

Education needs to change - the first thing to change should be the teachers' salary. Then the focus on keeping them and our children safe.  It is their job to educate. Anything above and beyond that is solely at the teacher's discretion and makes them that much more deserving of more money and more respect.  

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

I saw that post, too. I love the way you used archetypes to define teachers' roles in this post. It's so true. Just let them be teachers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)