Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm not crying over the shooting

Posted by   + Show Post
Yes, it was a terrible terrible thing that happened, children never deserve to die, especially such a gruesome death. In no way am I saying that I don't care about what occurred: I feel for the families, it's very upsetting, but, I'm not crying about it, I don't hold rage for the killer, I'm not going to lose sleep over it, and I'm definitely not going to be holding any paranoia towards the safety of my children. Shit happens, some people shouldn't be allowed to walk this Earth, but this doesn't mean I have to let those worries rule my life.

I'm not heartless, I just react differently from most others. Anyone else feel this way?

***edit

I've read a lot of people saying I don't feel emphatic. No where do I see crying to describe the definition of the word empathy.

******edit
my twins are 5. If this happened to me personally, yes, I would be absolutely distraught, but I wouldn't blame anyone who didn't get effected by it the same way I would.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 11:37 PM
Replies (151-160):
deepthinker
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

I graduated high school in 1998 and we had a kid bring a gun to school my junior year.  I am in YOUR generation, Miss 30 something and killers come in all shapes, sizes, ethnicities, and AGES, they're EVERYWHERE!!!

I'm 36, and saw violence around me everyday growing up. The only difference between today and things that happens years ago, is how instant the information is, someone growing up in a small town or quiet area, probably never experienced such things or knew things like this happens, because it was not immediate and their parents gave them no knowledge of it.  I know things like this happen because I've seen it.... some people are just seeing things like this because of the internet now, igonrance isn't generational, it's only our technolgy that makes it available to everyone that's different.  Everything we have access to on the internet couldn't fit into a newspaper years ago.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 37 on Dec. 15, 2012 at 12:44 AM
In the final days the hearts of many shall wax cold......
Amybelle
by Ruby Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 12:46 AM

I'm SOOOO Thankful I don't have UGLY (& NO I don't mean looks-wise) People like you in my life

Anonymous
by Anonymous 38 on Dec. 15, 2012 at 12:46 AM

My daughter is about to start kinder next August, so i have been on edge the last year of the thought of my daughter in school and the way that other children treat her... the thought never crossed my mind that an unknown man could come into her school and shoot up teachers and whole classrooms of students... you are more hard hearted than others. Which is nothing to be ashamed of, but dont hate on other moms that are crying in fear today!

marihla
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Well when I heard about it, it hit a nerve and I spent a few minutes mourning with them. But I moved on, I'm very far away from there. And I won't lose any sleep over it either.

_cloudy_
by Bronze Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 12:50 AM
I was just talking to my friend about it and asked if it was fucked up that I wasn't crying over it. She did, but said that everyone handles tragedies differently. I was merely wondering if I was alone in my reaction, which apparently, I am not.

Quoting Anonymous:

If your not going to cry about it, thats fine but you dont have to post that your not! It's still sensitive for alot of parents even for the ones who weren't involved.  No one thinks you should let this rule your life but at least be considerate! This posting is harsh for the ones who do feel sad about it!! 

Debalexxa
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 12:51 AM
This terrible tragedy happened 20 minutes from me my dd is in kindergarten yes I feel the pain of the families yes I'm hurt yes I cried many times throughout the day to know this babies r still in the school and parents r not going home the remain in the firehouse until their babies are out of that school oh yes I cried as I put my children to sleep tonight I thanked god I was able to kiss them good night I will prob cry some more...no judgement from me but this hit way to close to home....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
_cloudy_
by Bronze Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 12:52 AM
No where did I say that I was hating on the moms that were crying, that is definitely not the case here.

Quoting Anonymous:

My daughter is about to start kinder next August, so i have been on edge the last year of the thought of my daughter in school and the way that other children treat her... the thought never crossed my mind that an unknown man could come into her school and shoot up teachers and whole classrooms of students... you are more hard hearted than others. Which is nothing to be ashamed of, but dont hate on other moms that are crying in fear today!

chi_moma
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Yes, I feel the same way. I agree, it's a horrible tragedy and my oldest is in kindergarten so I feel for those parents who lost their babies. But Im just not the type to let it ruin my day. My kids have no understanding of what's happened, no need for me to sit in a puddle of tears and upset them. 

I do also understand why others have been upset over this. Everyone handles things in their own way.

angie944
by Silver Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 12:55 AM

What if it was your child?? Would you be upset if it was, and saw other mothers saying they werent upset about it? Would you think it was selfish of them? 

Quoting chi_moma:

Yes, I feel the same way. I agree, it's a horrible tragedy and my oldest is in kindergarten so I feel for those parents who lost their babies. But Im just not the type to let it ruin my day. My kids have no understanding of what's happened, no need for me to sit in a puddle of tears and upset them. 

I do also understand why others have been upset over this. Everyone handles things in their own way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN