Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm not crying over the shooting

Posted by   + Show Post
Yes, it was a terrible terrible thing that happened, children never deserve to die, especially such a gruesome death. In no way am I saying that I don't care about what occurred: I feel for the families, it's very upsetting, but, I'm not crying about it, I don't hold rage for the killer, I'm not going to lose sleep over it, and I'm definitely not going to be holding any paranoia towards the safety of my children. Shit happens, some people shouldn't be allowed to walk this Earth, but this doesn't mean I have to let those worries rule my life.

I'm not heartless, I just react differently from most others. Anyone else feel this way?

***edit

I've read a lot of people saying I don't feel emphatic. No where do I see crying to describe the definition of the word empathy.

******edit
my twins are 5. If this happened to me personally, yes, I would be absolutely distraught, but I wouldn't blame anyone who didn't get effected by it the same way I would.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 11:37 PM
Replies (181-190):
MYBABYANDI
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 3:38 AM
What a bitch!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 15, 2012 at 3:41 AM
Yes, but op suffers mental disability as well.

Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

And this is where AMERICA fucked up! These people right here. THIS GENERATION THE 20 SOMETHING!

Vipergirl22
by Gold Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 3:45 AM

I didn't cry. I hugged my daughter a little tighter when I saw her today. My thoughts are with those families. I would never wish this on anyone. I am not good with feelings and such so instead I made this new blingee.

12-14-2012

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 15, 2012 at 7:09 AM
Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

Gosh, you're judgemental and ignorant. I have never played a video game, especially a violent one. None of my "20 somethings" friends have either yet it all effected us differently.
FinchsMommy
by Bronze Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 7:40 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't think there is anything wrong with you not crying or being distraught over someone else's loss.

It is incredibly sad that this occur to children, children who hadn't yet really begun to live. However, that doesn't mean you have to mourn, cry, be depressed, or have a panic over you're own children's safety.

It's fair to say that if you hugged your children a little tighter or more last night, that should be enough. Essentially, don't take for granted what you have as others lost more than most can comprehend.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 15, 2012 at 9:13 AM

i think it was a terrible thing that happened also. i dont think there should be a discussion on this topic, it just happened yesterday.

Kmary
by Silver Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 9:17 AM
1 mom liked this

I think many people react the way you did.  It doesn't make you a bad person.  I used to be a lot more stoic myself, but after I had kids, it did make me a bit more emotional.  But I get what you're saying.  Last night my own dh, who is really a wonderful, loving man, said, "yeah well 16,000 kids die a day from starvation all over the world and you're not crying about that."  At first it came off as callous, but  honestly, he's right.  There has always been and will always be terrible exhibits of evil behavior.  If I lost sleep every night over every one of them, I wouldn't be able to function.  I did react differently than you.  I think I really identified with the parents being a white, suburban, northeast mother of kids the same age as theirs, but I don't think there's anything wrong with the way you reacted either.

maforlife
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 9:18 AM

i agree. shit does happen but that mother wouldnt know what to do if it was her kids in that situation. i wouldnt know what to do if that was my kids. it makes me sick to see the kind of ppl in this world. i dont know what makes ppl go off the deep end. i think he should have offed himself instead of those poor ppl.

Behindthelense
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Everyone is hit differently. I cried most of the day. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 15, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)