Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

question about guns and gun safety

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 10:01 AM
  • 23 Replies
I know next to nothing about guns. But I've been thinking about getting one. I saw a nice small one online. Can I order one? Where would I go for a permit? Are there classes to teach me how to fire one. The only shooting range I googled close to me is for police. I also have a very active toddler. What are some gun safety measures for him?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 10:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jaxsonsmama2009
by Gold Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 10:04 AM
Our bass pro shop gives every person that purchases a gun info on classes offered around town. Do you have one near you? They might know someone. Maybe call the police station or that range and ask if they know of one open to the public. A friend could also teach you, my husband taught me.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
RissyLee
by Platinum Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 10:04 AM
Idk about the legalities of buying the gun or classes, but definitely get a safe. They have ones with fingerprint recognition, which is what I will be getting if I ever manage to save the money for the license, safe, and gun. My dad knows all the laws for here and what I would need to do to get a gun and my paperwork I need. I go to the shooting range with him.
JakesMom712
by Ruby Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 10:06 AM
I've never heard of bass pro shop. And I don't know anyone who owns a gun. My df is handy with a bb rifle, but not with a hand gun :(
Ill call the range and ask them.

Quoting Jaxsonsmama2009:

Our bass pro shop gives every person that purchases a gun info on classes offered around town. Do you have one near you? They might know someone. Maybe call the police station or that range and ask if they know of one open to the public. A friend could also teach you, my husband taught me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 15, 2012 at 10:07 AM
Get a safe or a lock box. And ask a sporting goods store for info on classes.
RissyLee
by Platinum Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 10:07 AM
I would really just find your state's laws. They vary from state to state. Or maybe call the police station and see if they can point you in the right direction as far as a shooting range open to the public and where to get the necessary paperwork and what laws to know
JakesMom712
by Ruby Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 10:08 AM
That's great about the safe. I worry about my ds somehow finding it or something.

Quoting RissyLee:

Idk about the legalities of buying the gun or classes, but definitely get a safe. They have ones with fingerprint recognition, which is what I will be getting if I ever manage to save the money for the license, safe, and gun. My dad knows all the laws for here and what I would need to do to get a gun and my paperwork I need. I go to the shooting range with him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JakesMom712
by Ruby Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 10:09 AM
The only sporting goods store here is modells. Lol. And they suck

Quoting Anonymous:

Get a safe or a lock box. And ask a sporting goods store for info on classes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mehganh
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 10:09 AM
2 moms liked this
Don't buy a gun until you have taken a class they will show you how to shoot and where to store it. Especially with a young child. Do not order one without educating yourself first.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RissyLee
by Platinum Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 10:09 AM
Me too. And I worry about my son getting older (he's 2 right now) stealing my keys or figuring out the combination to open a safe. I figure that a fingerprint lock is the safest option I can find, and also the quickest in case of a true emergency. I may not always have my keys near by, but I always have my fingerprints.

Quoting JakesMom712:

That's great about the safe. I worry about my ds somehow finding it or something.

Quoting RissyLee:

First_One_8_18
by Gold Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Call your local police dept and ask them everything you just asked here. Don't take advice from CM about gun education and safety and laws, please, if you're  first time gun owner. Ask the professionals!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)