Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

question about guns and gun safety

Posted by   + Show Post
I know next to nothing about guns. But I've been thinking about getting one. I saw a nice small one online. Can I order one? Where would I go for a permit? Are there classes to teach me how to fire one. The only shooting range I googled close to me is for police. I also have a very active toddler. What are some gun safety measures for him?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 10:01 AM
Replies (11-20):
MamaRae85
by *you're on Dec. 15, 2012 at 10:14 AM

This. Seriously.

Quoting Mehganh:

Don't buy a gun until you have taken a class they will show you how to shoot and where to store it. Especially with a young child. Do not order one without educating yourself first.

notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 10:14 AM
You need a permit for a hand gun. You can get into a good comprehensive class for under $150. You may want to buy local to make sure the gun feels right to you.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mehganh
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this
And by the way op. I am a NRA certified trainer. You really should not order one until you know about them.. That is incredibly dangerous.

Quoting MamaRae85:

This. Seriously.

Quoting Mehganh:

Don't buy a gun until you have taken a class they will show you how to shoot and where to store it. Especially with a young child. Do not order one without educating yourself first.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama_cullum
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 10:46 AM
I bought mine from gander mountain. All they did was a background check to make sure I wasn't a felon and stuff.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CrimsonRadiance
by Platinum Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 10:48 AM
I also wouldn't buy one from online because you might not like how it feels in your hand once you hold it. You have to be comfortable with it, in order to use it properly.

Ask your local police department. They would know where you can educate yourself, and may even know where you can purchase one.

Quoting Mehganh:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 15, 2012 at 10:48 AM
You need a permit for concealed carry but not to purchase one. I bought mine and no permits.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

You need a permit for a hand gun. You can get into a good comprehensive class for under $150. You may want to buy local to make sure the gun feels right to you.

notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 10:50 AM
Not here. If you buy one you need to have a permit to use one unless its a shotgun.

Quoting Anonymous:

You need a permit for concealed carry but not to purchase one. I bought mine and no permits.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

LuvmyAiden
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 10:52 AM

State laws vary so you need to look up state specific laws. If you order online it will need to be shipped to an FFL holder and you will pay them a transfer fee after they do your background check and paperwork. BEFORE you buy a gun you need to go the NRA website and find an instructor close to you. Talk to them and set up a time to do some training. Most will have several different guns that you can rent to use while training with them. Once that is all said and done and you feel comfortable then you can look at actually buying one and getting your carry permit. Choose a holster very carefully(this may mean a lot of trial and error but it's worth it) and a safe even more carefully. I suggest a biometric for quick access and safety with children. Also educate your child early and often. They can start gun safety classes at 4 and you should be talking about it before then. You can safely own and carry a gun with children if you put in the effort.

justinnaimee
by Platinum Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 10:57 AM
What you want to do is go into a local sporting goods store and ask. They can help you chose a gun that's right for you and direct you to a class or range. They can also help you find trigger locks or a licking gun case.

IMO the best way to keep kids safe is by teaching them about guns. Never point a gun, even a toy one, at other people. Do not touch a gun without mommy and/or daddy present. If friends find a gun go find and tell their parents. Etc.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 15, 2012 at 10:59 AM
Cabellas is another good hunting supply shop. Dicks sporting goods is another place, but I've never liked them.

Any place that sells guns (with the exception of pawn shops) usually offer classes/information. They can (in my state) also hep with your permit.

Quoting Jaxsonsmama2009:

Our bass pro shop gives every person that purchases a gun info on classes offered around town. Do you have one near you? They might know someone. Maybe call the police station or that range and ask if they know of one open to the public. A friend could also teach you, my husband taught me.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)