Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

question about guns and gun safety

Posted by   + Show Post
I know next to nothing about guns. But I've been thinking about getting one. I saw a nice small one online. Can I order one? Where would I go for a permit? Are there classes to teach me how to fire one. The only shooting range I googled close to me is for police. I also have a very active toddler. What are some gun safety measures for him?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 10:01 AM
Replies (21-23):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 15, 2012 at 11:00 AM
Same here in Texas.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Not here. If you buy one you need to have a permit to use one unless its a shotgun.

Quoting Anonymous:

You need a permit for concealed carry but not to purchase one. I bought mine and no permits.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

You need a permit for a hand gun. You can get into a good comprehensive class for under $150. You may want to buy local to make sure the gun feels right to you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 15, 2012 at 11:02 AM

I would suggest you not purchase a gun until you are trained and have tried different ones. Most ranges will have a collection of handguns you can basically "try on for size". It is always dangerous to handle any gun unless you are familiar with it. If you don't know someone personally who is familiar and can teach you EVERYTHING, you need to find an instructor. Not all guns are created equal for all people. What feels good in my hand won't necessarily feel good in yours.

Personally, I'm extremely picky about what I shoot, which makes it extremely difficult for me to purchase one. I'm fearful of hurting my hand with the kick, one that the rack can slide easily since I have weak muscles on one side of my body and I'm extremely concerned about safety and accidental discharge so a revolver as a conceled gun isn't an option for me (I have one for home safety). I won't purchase a gun for myself until I know that it will feel like an extension of myself. What's the point of having a gun for safety if I know I'm going to be afraid or unable to shoot it?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 15, 2012 at 1:48 PM
We yeah. I'm not a fan of them.... Maybe a small locally owned gun shop?

Quoting JakesMom712:

The only sporting goods store here is modells. Lol. And they suck

Quoting Anonymous:

Get a safe or a lock box. And ask a sporting goods store for info on classes.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured