Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If you marry someone with kids, you take on some responsibility for that child ...

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 5:50 PM
  • 96 Replies
13 moms liked this
Sorry but that's my opinion. I hate reading here how some step parents say its not their kid so they don't care.

It's not right. You should care. You took that responsibility or burden - however you feel, when you married. If you think it is not for you to care and love a child that's not blood related, don't become a part of the childs life.

I grew up with a stepdad. I can talk until I'm blue in the face about it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 5:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ambermarie2006
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 5:51 PM
I agree completely.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ATG499
by Platinum Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 5:53 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree! That's why I'm glad my boyfriend is a stepdad that treats our son as if he came from his own DNA.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ATG499
by Platinum Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 5:54 PM
Also, if I were the stepparent in this situation, I would happily accept and love the child as my own- provided it wasn't going to cause issue with the child's BM.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boshs1andonly
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 5:55 PM

I agree, I don't understand that mindset either. 

me-n-mygirls
by Silver Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 5:55 PM
agree completly.
my father, stepfather, and FIL ALL have treated me super shitty, left me, and/or abused me. So I LOVE the guys that step up and be a MAN and FATHER to the few friends I have with kids. I wish all stepparents were like them sadly majority of them are not man enough.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 5:55 PM
9 moms liked this

I agree. My step dad is an amazing man. He was a father for my sister & I when my dad wasn't around. He co-signed for my first car. He took me to the ER when I was having a pulmonary embolism. He was at the hospital when my son was born. He is probably even more involved with my son than he is with his own, biological grandkids. He is my dad. He might not be my biological dad, but he is MY dad. And I am so thankful that my mom found a man like him after my dad left us. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 15, 2012 at 5:56 PM
Yes. My fiance and I didn't talk about marriage until I was sure he would treat my dd like his own. He does. She calls him daddy, and has him wrapped around her tiny little finger. It is so cute to see them together.
LaceNBklyn
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 5:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Well I agree and disagree to an extent. It greatly depends on the relationship the other parent has with the child. If the other parent still plays a huge role in the child's life additional parenting can cause a huge problem. No don't ignore the child but leave major decisions up to mom and dad. Now if the other parent is MIA then yes if the child is comfortable with you being an active SP then yes, it is your responsibility also.
CeeGee81
by CanadaGirl on Dec. 15, 2012 at 5:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree.  I care for my stepson just as much as I do my son.  My stepson and son are both our responsibility.

MaileysMommy
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Quoting ambermarie2006:

I agree completely.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)