Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

would you let a random stranger hold your 5 month old

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 6:08 PM
  • 680 Replies
6 moms liked this
So I go to the supermarket this morning and their debit machine was down so I had to make out a check. My 5 month old was crying because he wanted to be held as it was almost naptime. Unfourtanetly I could not do both. There was an elderly woman behind us in line and she offered to hold him while I made out my check. I let her because my cashier was super slow. When dh got home I told.him about the sweet older woman who held the baby at the store. He flipped. He's very upset with me and said I'm naive about people and I could have gotten our kids hurt by this. Is he right? Would you let the old lady hold your baby?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 6:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ajrjj05
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 6:09 PM
6 moms liked this

That was just a dumb move! I wouldn't of did it, that cute old lady may of had some speed in her feet and ran off with your baby. No I would of handed the check to the cashier and let the machine make it out, I would of used my baby carrier and let him cry.

mommy74146
by Platinum Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 6:10 PM
54 moms liked this
I know this is like a double standard but yeah I would have because she's an old lady. If it were a man, no I wouldn't. She seems non threatening, so yeah. I probably would have let her.
black_sun99
by Bronze Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 6:10 PM
19 moms liked this

I let a flight attendant walk around the airplane with my 4 month old daughter.  She did it so I could go to the bathroom and have a break.

ripemango
by Gold Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 6:11 PM
4 moms liked this

there is no f*cking way i would have done that. none. ppl b crazy

I don't know where the sunbeams end and the starlights begin; it's all a mystery.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 15, 2012 at 6:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Yea I would never let someone I don't know hold my kid. I think your dh has every right to be upset.
tarakay0417
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 6:11 PM
5 moms liked this
I would not have done that. that is a good way to get your child kidnapped.
slvr115
by Gold Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 6:12 PM
4 moms liked this
Once hubby and I went to a Chinese restaurant, and one of the waitresses carried our son around the whole restaurant asking people if they thought he was a boy or girl (he has longish hair). He was 5 months old
Kaya529
by Platinum Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 6:12 PM
8 moms liked this
I had no problem letting people hold my DS. He loves people and it usually makes their day.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 15, 2012 at 6:14 PM
14 moms liked this

I might consider it if the person was an older woman like in your situation.  Figure I could catch her easily.  lol  Anyone else definitely not.

countrymomma81
by Gold Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 6:14 PM
12 moms liked this

I let some random stranger hold my two week old daughter in Olive Garden one night. 

We had gone to at as a family (DH, our son who was 4 at the time, DD and I). We get seated by this woman who was oohhing and ahhing over our daughter. She said her daughter was pregnant with a baby girl and she couldn't wait to be a grandma. Then our food got there and she asked if she could hold our daughter while I ate. 

The way the tables were placed, she was sort of up against a corner so I rolled my chair to sort of block her in. If she tried to go anywhere DH was pretty much on the other side of her so he could have got to her. I fixed DD a bottle, let the lady feed her and fawn over her and we all had a nice quiet meal. All was well in the end. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured