Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Question about gun control ***UPDATE***

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
If you are against stricter gun control, are you only against stricter gun control on hunting rifles and pistols used for protection? Or are you ok with semi automatic and automatic weapons being easily accessible to all adults? Why or why not?

Ok... Let me update this OP since people seem to believe I'm uneducated on the topic because I hold a bit of a different view than some.

Yes, I know the difference between a semiautomatic and an automatic weapon. My issue is not whether it's semi or auto. My issue is that "some" of both of these weapons can hold numerous bullets or ammo. I don't care if you have to pull the trigger ten times or if you hold it down until the whole magazine is emptied. My issue is the fact that some of these guns can hold more bullets, ammo, whatever you prefer to call it than is needed. There's no reason a gun is made to hold several bullets at a time unless it is made to kill several "things" or people at a time.

I grew up in the country in a hunting family. We ALL have guns. I don't want to take your damn guns. What bothers me is the fact that so many states have different rules and regulations in order to purchase, own, carry, or sell a gun. Yes, there are SOME federal laws that encompass the whole country regarding guns, including background checks.

*I* feel that something should be done to make all state laws and regulations the same, or at least damn close.

I've heard so many of you say that you have 3-4 month waiting periods, and some say you've had to go through training courses, and yet others have to register their guns.

Did you know that some states (my state) do not require ANY of that? In my state the only thing I have to do in order to buy a gun is show up to a store with 2 forms of ID and a checkbook. They then run a background check which takes a whopping 15-20 minutes. After I pass the bg check I simply pay for the gun and any ammo I want and walk out with it. Wham bam thank you ma'am. There is no waiting period. I don't have to take any sort of training. I don't need to get a permit. And I don't even need to register it UNLESS I want to carry/conceal. If I want to carry, I simply go to the sheriffs office after I've already bought my weapon of choice and apply for a permit. It takes UP to 45 days to approve or deny. Once it's approved, I can carry/conceal for 5 years, no questions asked.

Now, this may sound awesome to some of you, but to me, it does not. It scares the daylights out of me because ANYBODY of age with 2 ID's and a checkbook, who have never been CAUGHT for anything, can go in and buy weapons within MINUTES.

Oh, and you don't even have to be 21. You have to be 18 to buy a rifle, 21 to buy a handgun (but you can be gifted one from a parent at 18). You have to be 18 to open-carry anything, 21 to conceal-carry a handgun.

Doesn't that make you feel great? Any kid or person for that matter, who has mental issues of any kind can even buy a damn gun. You know why? PA is one of the great gun toting states that does not share mental health records with the Federal Government--therefore even after someone has been committed, it does not show up on the background check. Oh, and PA is only ONE of THIRTEEN of these states. Makes ya feel all warm and fuzzy doesn't it.

Now, after all that. Doesn't it make you feel great that in my state, any person over 18 or 21 in SOME cases, can go into a store right after being released from the psych ward for an involuntary stay and buy a weapon ON the spot that holds multiple bullets or ammo and doesn't even need to get a permit or register the damn thing? It sure makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. -.-

So that being said, when I say I want stricter gun control, it doesn't mean I want to take your guns. It means I want all states on the same page with rules and regulations. It means I want to know that the man who just threatened to kill me cannot walk into a store and walk out with a gun in the next 30 minutes. It means I want people to have to go through training in order to learn about guns so there are less people getting hurt accidentally by their own gun because they don't know how to properly use it. It means I want to feel safe. I know some of you feel safer with guns in your home and that's your choice. I just don't want guns so legally accessible to people who shouldn't have them.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 16, 2012 at 7:57 AM
Replies (11-20):
Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Dec. 16, 2012 at 8:13 AM
10 moms liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

I really hate when people make that dumb analogy to drugs. Drugs are artificial and is CREATED in peoples homes. No one has a gun factory in their house

Quoting Kaelaasmom:

Quoting IhartU:

I say ban them ALL- they're unnecessary and cause more harm than good. I'm not going to argue my opinion either because it does no good; the gun-lovers will continue to hump their '2nd amendments rights' while innocent people continue to die.

Criminals will continue to have weapons, just like drug dealers will continue to sell crack.

You truly have no idea about weapons, do you? Do you know what a gunsmith is? A person who can, in fact, run a "gun factory" in their home.

CafeMom Tickers
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 16, 2012 at 8:14 AM
8 moms liked this

im for the right to carry a gun. take the school shooting for example.....if one of those teachers or the principle had a gun maybe some of these babies could have been sparred,  i think everyone should have the right to carry (of couse not criminals, felons, people with a record that would pose more of a threat having a gun), it takes a human to use that gun to cause harm the gun all on its own is not the problem its the hands it is put in. i respect everyones opinions on this this is just how i feel

momtimesx4
by Silver Member on Dec. 16, 2012 at 8:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

I think most handguns are semi automatic. I don't see why they should be banned. Fully automatic weapons are illegal.

No they are not.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 16, 2012 at 8:16 AM
Oh so I can go buy an M16 or AK47 down at Cabellas?

Quoting momtimesx4:

Quoting Anonymous:

I think most handguns are semi automatic. I don't see why they should be banned. Fully automatic weapons are illegal.

No they are not.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 16, 2012 at 8:17 AM
Federal Assault Weapons Ban
The Federal Assault Weapons Ban (AWB) (or Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act) was a subtitle of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994, a federal law in the United States that included a prohibition on the manufacture for civilian use of certain semi-automatic firearms, so called "assault weapons". The 10-year ban was passed by Congress on September 13, 1994, and was signed into law by President Bill Clinton the same day. The ban only applied to weapons manufactured after the date of the ban's enactment.

The Federal Assault Weapons Ban expired on September 13, 2004, as part of the law's sunset provision. There have been multiple attempts to renew the ban,[1] but no bill has reached the floor for a vote.

.... My state has no state law against automatic weapons either.

Quoting Anonymous:

momtimesx4
by Silver Member on Dec. 16, 2012 at 8:19 AM
1 mom liked this

No, but Cabelas can probably put you in contact with an NFA dealer. That dealer can explain the process and get you started on the paperwork needed to purchase said M16 or AK47.  

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting momtimesx4:

Quoting Anonymous:

No they are not.

itsm3
by Platinum Member on Dec. 16, 2012 at 8:20 AM

i think the process in which to get a gun needs to be more strict/stringent.  here in canada, it's a lengthy process; takes 1yr+  to get a license and then more time to actually get a gun.  something like you have to apply which takes time to process but then you also have to take courses, lessons, tests etc.  the government does background checks and whatever else they need to do to clear your application/check your tests/courses or whatever.  i don't know the whole process but a friend applied (he is a hunter) and he's still waiting... he's been waiting a long time!  so if someone in canada wants a gun, they have to jump through a lot of hoops to get one legally.  also, we do not sell any guns or ammo in any store.  they are specialized dealers that are heavily regulated by the government (at least none that i've seen in toronto).  if someone asked me where to buy a gun, i wouldn't know where!

AnastasiaKorsh
by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 8:21 AM

I think this is a stupid analogy. Following the logic that we should not have better laws for gun because criminals will break them, is almost the same as saying that we shouldn't have any laws because criminals will break them.

Quoting Kaelaasmom:

Quoting IhartU:

I say ban them ALL- they're unnecessary and cause more harm than good. I'm not going to argue my opinion either because it does no good; the gun-lovers will continue to hump their '2nd amendments rights' while innocent people continue to die.

Criminals will continue to have weapons, just like drug dealers will continue to sell crack.

Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Dec. 16, 2012 at 8:22 AM
7 moms liked this

Quoting AnastasiaKorsh:

I think this is a stupid analogy. Following the logic that we should not have better laws for gun because criminals will break them, is almost the same as saying that we shouldn't have any laws because criminals will break them.

Quoting Kaelaasmom:

Quoting IhartU:

GUN LAWS ONLY AFFECT THE PEOPLE WHO OWN THEIR GUNS LEGALLY TO BEGIN WITH.

CafeMom Tickers
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 16, 2012 at 8:23 AM
Huh. Well that's news to me lol. I looked it up after you quoted me. I guess its a bitch to get one though. Learn something new everyday. Idk how I feel about that.

Quoting momtimesx4:

No, but Cabelas can probably put you in contact with an NFA dealer. That dealer can explain the process and get you started on the paperwork needed to purchase said M16 or AK47.  

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting momtimesx4:

Quoting Anonymous:

No they are not.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)