Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Really BEYOND irritated - it will NOT "turn him gay"

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 76 Replies
Last year DH got me a Pandora bracelet for Christmas. This year, he wanted to get one for his sister. I found a great deal on eBay and it came tonight. Well, DS (5) is in LOVE with the charms. Instead of just letting the child have some and be on his way, DH makes this HUGE deal about how he's a boy and can't have charms because they're for girls.
I told DH it upsets me that he's being like that. DH's response is, "Well it upsets me that our son wants to be a girl."
UGH!!! He DOESN'T want to be a girl. He's a boy. He's ALL boy. He just likes pretty things and I'm missing the issue here.

Update: Well, I confronted DH again today. He was worked up and angry over something STUPID (I asked him to take an alternate route because it had less traffic and we were tight on time) and I told him he needs help. I told him he needs to see someone about HOW angry he gets over STUPID things. He said, "Like what?" I said, "Like taking a different road, my having to work when you're off, the fact I expect to get to do homework at home, your son wanting some beads."
He said the beads are for girls and that's why it upsets him. I told him the FIVE year old doesn't understand that and he just wants a collection. His response was that he can collect something boys collect, like football cards.
Needless to say, I gave the boy 5 beads tonight and he was thrilled. He ran all over the bowling alley showing them off and got lots of compliments.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 17, 2012 at 8:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 17, 2012 at 8:43 PM
5 moms liked this
Homophobic much?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 17, 2012 at 8:44 PM

your dh needs to lighten up a bit...and what is most sad is I hope your ds is not gay for his sake - your dh would not be accepting and loving from the sounds of it.

xtwistedxlovex
by Platinum Member on Dec. 17, 2012 at 8:47 PM
My 6yo has a baby doll and play kitchen. He loves sewing with me AND cooking and cleaning. But you know what? Still most definitely a boy. He says he loves me so much he should be in love with me, and we have to get married when he grows up; he loves his father just as much and never suggested marrying him, so I'd venture to say his interest will be in girls when the time comes :-P
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
robyann
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 8:47 PM
1 mom liked this

The real problem is dh's not ds's. You can't "turn" him gay! lol My ds, who is now 22 years old, had an old purse of my mom's, it was pink, it filled it with pennies and insisted on carrying it around for several months. He'd take it to the grocery store and to church. I knew it was no big deal. He is now a daddy and a very well adjusted young man. He also played with dolls, learning to be a good daddy, and now he is a great daddy!

whoopsie16
by Gold Member on Dec. 17, 2012 at 8:47 PM
4 moms liked this

I'm with your DH actually, not that it will turn him gay...but its not exactly appropriate either. not as bad as a dress, but still pretty girly

jkampbyll
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 8:49 PM

i see nothing wrong with it men ware jewelry too straight men. there's got to be some boy charms you could buy to put on the bracelet. i think its cute. fyi my husband would freak out too smh. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 17, 2012 at 8:50 PM
I'm not going to give him a whole bracelet. It was a keychain for crying out loud.

Quoting whoopsie16:

I'm with your DH actually, not that it will turn him gay...but its not exactly appropriate either. not as bad as a dress, but still pretty girly

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TattoodMommy19
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 8:50 PM
1 mom liked this
At one time so were earrings.

Now plenty of boys and grown men wear earrings.

Quoting whoopsie16:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 17, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Ugh. I'm sure your husband is a wonderful man, but I really hate this type of homophobic attitude.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 17, 2012 at 8:51 PM
He doesn't even want a bracelet; just a few of the charms for a "collection." Hell, I got 50 for $10, you'd think the kid could have half a dozen.

Quoting jkampbyll:

i see nothing wrong with it men ware jewelry too straight men. there's got to be some boy charms you could buy to put on the bracelet. i think its cute. fyi my husband would freak out too smh. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN