Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this normal???!!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies
My dd is 3 1/2. She has always been a good girl and very sweet. She didn't even go through the "terrible twos." However, it seems that ever since I got pregnant she has been acting out. She doesn't listen anymore, she is being hateful, she won't do what she is told, she is whiny, and she seems to get angry very easily. Is this normal? Has anyone else been through this? I'm not sure if it's because of the pregnancy or not. And I don't know what I do...
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:10 AM
2 moms liked this

Yes, it is normal. Yes, it is probably because you are pregnant, and also because she is 3. 3's are harder than 2's IME. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:11 AM
Do you think things will go back to normal once the baby gets here? This just happened out of nowhere. We've never had a problem with her like this before. Do you think it's something I need to talk to her pediatrician about?

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes, it is normal. Yes, it is probably because you are pregnant, and also because she is 3. 3's are harder than 2's IME. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:13 AM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:14 AM
I am going through the same thing! DD will be three in Feb. She is doing all the things you've listed. I just remain patient. And I swear the moment she started all this was right after I showed her the ultrasound video of the little guy.
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Very Normal

YOU just got lucky when she didn't go through the "terrible two's" which  usually start by 15-18 months, lol

After the baby comes just include her in the care of  the baby so she won;t feel left out...kwim She is the BIG Sister now, she can get you diapers, wipes etc

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:18 AM

She will settle once the baby is there, most likely. I would talk to her, and have special time with her. Ask her what she thinks it will be like when the baby is there, and let her open up. Remind her that you will still love her, and that she will be such and important helper to you, and that you will still have time with her. There is a little girl in my 3's class this year, who just had a sibling. Her mom leave the baby with grandma once a week, and the two of them get hot chocolate and have a mom and daughter morning without the baby. It has made a huge difference for her. 

Maybe make an "all about me" book for her, with pictures of her as a baby, and growing up, with stories about her, and a place where she can put a picture of her and her new sibling. Get some good books about babies, and big sisters. Include her in some planning for the baby. Maybe she can make the baby a book, a story that you write together, and she can draw pictures for it. 

This is a process for her, so help her process through it, and she will be fine. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Do you think things will go back to normal once the baby gets here? This just happened out of nowhere. We've never had a problem with her like this before. Do you think it's something I need to talk to her pediatrician about?

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:19 AM
I plan on letting her help with pretty much everything. I don't want her feeling like mommy daddy don't want her anymore. I even try to do special things for her now while we prepare for the baby.
I'm just not sure what to do with her. I try to keep my patience but by the end of the day I'm going insane lol.
Any tips on getting her to listen and not be so angry and mean? Or on how to keep my sanity? We still have 14 weeks till the baby comes.

Quoting Sassy762:

Very Normal

YOU just got lucky when she didn't go through teh "terrible two's" which  usually start by 15-18 months, lol

After the baby comes just include her in the care of  the baby so she won;t feel left out...kwim She is the BIG Sister now, she can get you diapers, wipes etc

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:20 AM
How do you keep your patience? What's the trick. I'm feel like I'm about to go insane!!

Quoting Anonymous:

I am going through the same thing! DD will be three in Feb. She is doing all the things you've listed. I just remain patient. And I swear the moment she started all this was right after I showed her the ultrasound video of the little guy.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:23 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

Just remember she is a little 3 year old child who is learning how to process all her emotions and feelings. Sometimes they can't express what they want so they show it through acting out. Just show guidance. And love. And as a Pp said let them be the big helper when the baby is born. Btw, what's your due date? Mine is may 1st.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:24 AM
I try to do special things for her now and talk to her. Mostly she tells me she doesn't like the baby and doesn't want him. Some days all she wants to do is feel *her* baby kick but most of the time she doesn't like it. I always tell her how special she is and it's mostly always me and her time since dh works all the time. Just today we snuggled and watched the chipmunks movie. Nothing seems to work though. I'll try the all about me book. I haven't tried that yet. Sounds like a good idea. Thank you.

Quoting Anonymous:

She will settle once the baby is there, most likely. I would talk to her, and have special time with her. Ask her what she thinks it will be like when the baby is there, and let her open up. Remind her that you will still love her, and that she will be such and important helper to you, and that you will still have time with her. There is a little girl in my 3's class this year, who just had a sibling. Her mom leave the baby with grandma once a week, and the two of them get hot chocolate and have a mom and daughter morning without the baby. It has made a huge difference for her. 

Maybe make an "all about me" book for her, with pictures of her as a baby, and growing up, with stories about her, and a place where she can put a picture of her and her new sibling. Get some good books about babies, and big sisters. Include her in some planning for the baby. Maybe she can make the baby a book, a story that you write together, and she can draw pictures for it. 

This is a process for her, so help her process through it, and she will be fine. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)