Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

breastfeeding and jaundice

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 36 Replies
Baby Ryan is now almost 48 hours old and has had a very rough go of breastfeeding. He had a lot of amniotic fluid left in his bellythat didn't get squeezed out at delivery that caused him to be "spitty" and not want to feed. I really had no guidance here until night shift last night. The lactation consultant came in to help him latch and even she got frustrated and we barely got him to feed. Needless to say my baby hasn't gotten much in the first 24 hours and has only taken in 17ml in the last 6. I know because I finally started pumping my milk instead of breastfeeding because he wasn't getting much amd was starving. He went for his nurse assessment and is jaundice. I am so paranoid that I am starving my baby and nobody seems to be on the same page here about anything. They all have different answers to my questions. I want to hear your ladies experiences. I am conyemplating supplementing formula mixed in with the breastmilk to get my little guy back on track but dh wants to wait until morning.He hasn't had a pee diaper in almost 24 hours but jas had 3 poops yesterday and 2 poops today. I just want my baby to not get dehydrated and to make sure he is getting a full tummy.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:52 AM
3 moms liked this

Pumping does not tell you how much your baby is eating.  With jaundice, it is very important to make sure you get them to eat every 2-3 hours max., even if that means waking them up.  You have GOT to get that bilirubin out!

Vixcalamity
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:54 AM
2 moms liked this
Awww memories. My little guy turns one on the 29th!! *pout* Anywho, I didn't have the issue because mine was born early and they gave me nipple shields. Made it a lot easier. He was jaundiced as well. 2 extra days in the hospital under the lights. He stayed a little yellow for the first month but it slowly tapered off. Just keep your head up momma! It gets easier. :-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:55 AM
I am doing that now. Nobody has told me anything here. It has been quite frustrating. He is due to be up in about 20 minutes. I now have him on every two hours. So in the last 6 hours he has had 17ml.

Quoting Anonymous:

Pumping does not tell you how much your baby is eating.  With jaundice, it is very important to make sure you get them to eat every 2-3 hours max., even if that means waking them up.  You have GOT to get that bilirubin out!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:56 AM
1 mom liked this
2 dirty diapers is normal for 2 days old. His tummy is the size of a marble right now so more frequent nursing is good. Keep trying to nurse him and its completely normal to have a bit of jaundice.

What is his bilirubin level?
Jamie1972
by Ruby Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:57 AM

My oldest was jaundice and i tried bf him for the first 2 weeks. His pedi told me to feed him every 2 hours even if he was sleeping. 

CrimsonRadiance
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:57 AM
2 moms liked this
48 hours.. your milk really hasn't even come in yet. Give it a couple days. You are not starving tour baby.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:58 AM
Thank you. I was in tears earlier when the lc was here because I feel like I am failing him. She told me I'm not because I am making way more colostrum than most. I just want to make sure he isn't getting dehydrated or starving. Around 4 a.m. Will be 48 hours so I guess that means if my body does the standard it will be another day before my milk comes in.

Quoting Vixcalamity:

Awww memories. My little guy turns one on the 29th!! *pout* Anywho, I didn't have the issue because mine was born early and they gave me nipple shields. Made it a lot easier. He was jaundiced as well. 2 extra days in the hospital under the lights. He stayed a little yellow for the first month but it slowly tapered off. Just keep your head up momma! It gets easier. :-)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Just keep doing what you're doing and hopefully it will be enough to the point where it will get better instead of worse.  My daughter got to the point where she needed to be under lights for 4 days.  She was a winter baby and we live in a sunless state in winter and she was at a very dangerous level, super yellow everywhere. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I am doing that now. Nobody has told me anything here. It has been quite frustrating. He is due to be up in about 20 minutes. I now have him on every two hours. So in the last 6 hours he has had 17ml.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:59 AM
She wouldn't tell me. Just that they jad a meter and were checking it.

Quoting Anonymous:

2 dirty diapers is normal for 2 days old. His tummy is the size of a marble right now so more frequent nursing is good. Keep trying to nurse him and its completely normal to have a bit of jaundice.

What is his bilirubin level?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:00 AM
That is what I have been doing since 8 p.m. Est now so I can get him up there and hungry.

Quoting Jamie1972:

My oldest was jaundice and i tried bf him for the first 2 weeks. His pedi told me to feed him every 2 hours even if he was sleeping. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)