• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Confess! Was there an "Adam Lanza" at your school?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 83 Replies

Was there a kid at your school when you were growing up who seemed "off"?

With no friends, nobody gave him or her the time of day, the bud of ridicule, etc?

If so, did it ever occur to you to reach out the them?

There were a few like that while I was in school, and as odd as it was, it DID cross my mind that those were the exact type of people that would do unspeakable things. I DID make the effort to reach out to them, I remember in middle school, there was one girl who was "off" and always ate lunch alone, I asked my friends to come with me to go sit with her, my "friends" did not want to be seen with her, but I went anyways. The girl seemed shocked that I was actually talking to her, I sat there for all of lunch and told her that if she ever wanted to come sit with me, then she was welcome to.

She never came over to sit with me and my friends, but I did make a habit of saying hello to her in the hallways. I know its odd for a school age kid to think about it, but even in highschool I tried to make extra sure the "off" kids felt included, because it crossed my mind that they showed warning signs of kids who you would hear about shooting up the school, etc.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
3lilladies81
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:12 AM
We had quite a few luckily they had eachother I remember once the "popular" kid was picking on them and I put him in his place! I was nice to everyone except a few mean girls.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:14 AM

BUMP

Jemmy
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:14 AM
In my elementary school, some if our classes were split. Example, my 1st grade was split as 1st/2nd grade. One of the 2nd graders brought in a knife and threatened a 1st grader.

High school was mainly filled with bomb threats, fights, and suicides.
abbie.alder
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:17 AM

Yup, he was a bully to insecure girls or anyone who tried to befriend him. He burned our school down after graduation.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:20 AM

hmm I guess that would be me if I really thought about it. I was extremely shy and quiet in elementary and part of middle school. I was an army brat and moved around a lot so I had a hard time making new friends which took awhile. Anyway once my father got out of the military I started to venture out more and I found my own group of friends that were easy to talk to and didnt mind that I was shy. By high school everything changed I had my group of friends and lol became head cheerleader (god that was a lifetime ago). Anyway no all quiet and shy children grow up to become crazy and deranged I think some of us are misunderstood and things can become very ugly for some of us but not all. Anyway I now have 2 jobs one in finance as a corporate I/O psychologist (industrial and organizational) and I work with children that are introverts that have a hard time communicating:).

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:22 AM

Yep, and I kept as far away from him as possible...if he made a hit list, I did NOT want my name to be on it!

Meghan6391
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:22 AM
We had one and he was really sweet if you got to know him and was very smart and kinda funny just kept to himself and a lot of people picked on him. He hung himself the Christmas after graduation at a park in the town we lived in. It was very sad
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:24 AM

I always fit in better with the outcasts so I dont know....

Nicky2911
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:28 AM

I was one of those kids... everyone thought I was weird and came up with all kinds of stories about me that were I guess supposed to mock my oddness? My curly hair gave me an afro, I was extremely pale, and very, very shy. One particular girl seemed to have nothing better to do in her life than try to make me unhappy or say hateful things at every chance she got. It didn't have much effect after time other than to irritate me because I couldn't for the life of me figured out what her effing problem with me was. I'm still curious. Part of me hopes she is fat, ugly, and in a loveless (and sexless) marriage while the other hopes she has changed her ways, settled down with a nice family, and is teaching her children how important other people's feelings are.

There were several people throughout my life who reached out. We didn't always click as friends but it was good to know they were there. I still remember their names. I've friended most of them on facebook. I don't know the exact details that made me became a social person who loves fun and being happy instead of a nut with a gun but I'm glad things turned out the way they did. Perhaps it was the few people who tried to be nice. Perhaps it was that, while none of the students tried to stop what was going on, at least the majority of them didn't join in. My guess was it had to be those few nice kids that help with my outcome.

xomrs.chase
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:30 AM
all I can think of right now is Dane Cook: "thanks for the candy......."

But ya, I was nice to almost everyone. I remember finding out years after graduation that one kid had a list.... I was nice to him though
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)