Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

does your doctors office charge to have forms filled out?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
We are military and use a civilian ped for our kids. Well we are moving and the doctor has to fill out some forms for our kids and they're charging to do it now. 25 per form. Its not billable to insurance..then records are 1.00 first page 25 cents each additional page..which for my kids will wind up being 100 or so.

Fuucck
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:21 AM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:35 AM
But 25 PER form??? It's 2 forms per kid. That is ridiculous.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Yes - and they are entitled to be paid for the time they put in at their job. No?

Quoting Anonymous:

Well filling out forms is no waste of paper or printer ink. Its just their time.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Makes sense to me. Is the private office supposed to cover the cost of paper, ink, and labor?

OP, pretty common around here.

Quoting mommy_me:

Ive never heard of that. That is terrible

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:38 AM
1 mom liked this
Actually you are correct. It's a law. There is a cap drs can charge to copy records.

Quoting Thelmama:

No, that is craziness.  How many pages do your kids need? 100 dollars is  a lot of pages.  

NEVERMIND.....uggh...I need more coffee. Read that wrong ,you are talking records, not just forms.

We never had to pay if one doctor asked for them from another. Once we had them copied for one child and there was a 25 dollar cap on it, regardless of the number of pages.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:39 AM
What about forms? There are two forms each kid has to have filled out. I have 4 kids. Is there a cap by law on that?

Quoting Anonymous:

Actually you are correct. It's a law. There is a cap drs can charge to copy records.

Quoting Thelmama:

No, that is craziness.  How many pages do your kids need? 100 dollars is  a lot of pages.  

NEVERMIND.....uggh...I need more coffee. Read that wrong ,you are talking records, not just forms.

We never had to pay if one doctor asked for them from another. Once we had them copied for one child and there was a 25 dollar cap on it, regardless of the number of pages.

clippingmom
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:39 AM

I have worked in a doctoers office and yes it is very much common practice to charge to have forms filled out. They can spend several hours a week just filling out forms. They also very often hire one person to just copy records and help fill out forms so the doctor can just sign them. There are cost involved. By the time doctors pay all their overhead they really do not make as much as you would think.

Mychele
by Ruby Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:42 AM
I can't remember it word for word. I was talking to a therapist about some trouble with another dr and costs to copy and release information. The therapist pulled out some papers an read to me what my legal right were in regards to what the dr can charge. I remember her saying something about a cap.

Can you try a google search ? Maybe you can come across it. I don't want to give you false information. Hopefully you can get all your papers done cheaper than you thought ? Good luck.

Quoting Anonymous:

What about forms? There are two forms each kid has to have filled out. I have 4 kids. Is there a cap by law on that?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Thelmama:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Ninjascreenname
by Gold Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:01 AM
Crap. That was my awesome thought

Quoting Anonymous:

We can't. Dh has a checklist and records have to be hand carried. We are moving overseas.

Quoting Ninjascreenname:

Never heard of that. Just have the new peds office request them when you move

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:03 AM
The first set is free. They just don't tell you that. Be aggressive and tell them you know your rights.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Sorry your edit didn't show up until after I hit post.  When I hit quote it wasn't there.  Yeah there should be.  Most of our is pretty good its usually between $5-$10 cap for hers, but I've seen some drs office's where its $3 for the first page and $1 for every one after that I could only imagine how much it would cost to get my dd's records if ours charged that!

Quoting Thelmama:

Yeah I read the OP wrong, which is why I edited. I have a child who has lots of medical records and all 3 of mine have Noonan's syndrome. For them it only makes them very small for age. I thought at first she was just talking about forms ,charging to fill out forms. I read it wrong.  I edited it, after I reread it.  I think there should be a cap on how much they can charge.  My son's records are huge.

Quoting Anonymous:

You'd be surprised at how thick they can get.  I have all of my daughters medical records I like to keep copies for myself because we have multiple drs so that way I can keep track as well and her stack is about 2 ft tall!  And thats what has accumulated in 7 years!

Quoting Thelmama:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:14 AM

They can fax the information to the new pediatrician and will not charge you for that. If you are getting copies for yourself, then legally they have the right to charge you "reasonable" fees. It is not stated specifically how much "reasonable" fees are but according to Hipaa they can charge you for them. 

I would just have the new pedi request the documents. 

For future reference, you would be wise to get copies of everything that is done the same day you have it done. Unfortunately I found that doctors will "lose" important documents if and when they have done something wrong. Such is the case with my daughter. conveniently they lost the paperwork that would prove he is responsible for her brain damage. So, from now on, get copies the same day. 

Bennett121
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Under HIPAA [42 CFR § 164.524 (c) (4)] the amount that can be charged also is limited: 

(c) Implementation specifications: Provision of access. If the covered 

entity provides an individual with access, in whole or in part, to protected 

health information, the covered entity must comply with the following 

requirements…. 

(4) Fees. If the individual requests a copy of the protected health 

information or agrees to a summary or explanation of such 

information, the covered entity may impose a reasonable, cost-based 

fee, provided that the fee includes only the cost of: 

(i) Copying, including the cost of supplies for and labor of 

copying, the protected health information requested by the 

individual; 

(ii) Postage, when the individual has requested the copy, or 

the summary or explanation, be mailed; and 

(iii) Preparing an explanation or summary of the protected 

health information, if agreed to by the individual as required by 

paragraph (c)(2)(ii) of this section

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)