• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why the He** would you expose your kids to this??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 81 Replies
Is about to go off on my soap box! LOL!

This weekend we kept our girls (ages 6 and 8) away from the media coverage and then talked to them in an age appropriate way about the shooting. They were sad, and a little scared, but were reassured by us.

Then wouldn't you know it they came home from school with horrific, graphic stories from kids whose parents apparently let them watch CNN all weekend! And they had so much misinformation too.....so sad!

I know we can not shelter our kids from it all, but at least parents can try!!! No kids needs to know the gory details. Now my oldest is devastated and very upset over the disturbing horrific "adult" info she was exposed too. Gonna take a lot of damage control to get her feeling safe again!

I wish some parents would wake up and have common sense with what they expose their kids too! :-(
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CutieCrab
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:44 AM
Yeah..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jillbailey26
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:44 AM

My kids haven't even mentioned it, so I know their school and the people in it are all handling it with care.  

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

edelweiss23
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:45 AM
We told our kids about it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:45 AM
1 mom liked this
I didn't tell my kids about it at all. I don't feel it is necessary at their age to inform them. Luckily nothing has been said at their school.
lucky2Beeme
by Emerald Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:45 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't get it either. Its all about talking and seeing age appropriate stuff. These are the same parents that let their children watch age inappropriate shows.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:45 AM
2 moms liked this
You parent how you see fit. Some parents think its ok to expose their kids to te real world. We may not agree with it but its life. You can't shelter them from everything.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:46 AM
My son knows all about it and has watched it being talked about on the news. He's 6 and in kindergarten.
Aamy
by Ruby Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:47 AM
We didn't tell dd about it, she hasn't said anything .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommytoeandb
by Ruby Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:47 AM
DD heard about it at DH's doctors office. DS is oblivious.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lizardannie1966
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Unfortunately, we can't all parent the same. There are many parents who feel as you do about the incident from Friday and also other recent massacres. To these parents, it's the "common sense" approach to shelter their child from the horrors of what's been going on and it's understandable.

There are many parents who want their child/ren to be aware of what's going on in the world. These parents feel they're handling it with a common sense approach to be more open about the incidents.

Talk with her and be there for any/all questions she has now and may continue to have.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)