Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I feel guilty about letting my husband get up with baby a lot.

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:03 AM
  • 15 Replies

My DH is a great father and husband. He works a job he absolutely hates because it pays enough so that I'm able to stay home with our small children (instead of paying the insane prices of daycare). His normal work day can have him getting up anywhere from 1AM to 5AM, depending on when they need him and he doesn't know until the night before. However, our 1 year old is teething massively and when she wakes up in pain at night she doesn't want me. She just wants daddy and she will scream for hours (and wake everyone in the house up). We do the baby tylenol, we've done the teething tablets, even the baby orajel. I've tried giving her ice in one of those little pacifier looking things and it just makes a mess and doesn't make her happy. I've tried getting up and giving her crackers and she just cries and screams until my husband comes and takes her and tells me to go back to bed. This is a new development. I feel bad because my baby doesn't want me, but I feel even worse that my husband is losing so much sleep because of this. She has allergies too, and the allergy medication her doctor prescribed makes her tired and I've even thought about giving her that just to make her sleep through the night even though she isn't suffering from her allergies right now. I haven't given it to her, but man it's becoming so tempting.

I can't sleep either when I know he's up with the baby. It's just a no win situation. Any advice? She's getting five teeth (two are molars) and she's miserable most of the time but it's especially bad when she lays down.

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jillbailey26
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:28 AM

What is the difference between you and him?  Is he calmer when he goes in, to where you're stressed out because she's crying?  Does he do something special with her (sing, rock, talk to her)?  Anything like that?

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

MamaMoopsie
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Quoting jillbailey26:

What is the difference between you and him?  Is he calmer when he goes in, to where you're stressed out because she's crying?  Does he do something special with her (sing, rock, talk to her)?  Anything like that?

The only thing he does that I can't do or don't do is this monotone sort of singing. He's got this really deep voice and he just goes Ohhhhhh...ohhhh...ohhhhh... and yes, I've tried it but I think it's the timbre of his voice that soothes him and I just don't have that. Other than that, we're pretty much equal I think. I have trouble holding her and walking with her right now (pregnant and just starting to pop and she wants to be right on my bump and I can't breathe when she is).

kattu
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:40 AM
Sometimes daddy's need to make sacrifices too.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jillbailey26
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Quoting MamaMoopsie:

Quoting jillbailey26:

The only thing he does that I can't do or don't do is this monotone sort of singing. He's got this really deep voice and he just goes Ohhhhhh...ohhhh...ohhhhh... and yes, I've tried it but I think it's the timbre of his voice that soothes him and I just don't have that. Other than that, we're pretty much equal I think. I have trouble holding her and walking with her right now (pregnant and just starting to pop and she wants to be right on my bump and I can't breathe when she is).

Does he have a way to catch up on sleep during the day, after work?  A nap here and there?

I'd feel horrible too, so I'm right there with you, lol.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

knagsmom
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this
Maybe record his song he does for her n wear his shirt so u smell like him.
NoahandEliza
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:46 AM
Have you tried an amber teething necklace? Mine wouldn't wear it, but I have friends that swear by them.
spunky946
by Ruby Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:48 AM
Have you had her ears checked? If she is having a hard time when she lies down, it's a sign of an ear infection.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Maybe the baby misses him and this is the way she has found to get to cuddle him more? Make it a point to have him spend extra time with her during the day.

KMadsen
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Amber teething necklace. Swear to God they are the best thing ever for a teething baby.

MamaMoopsie
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Quoting jillbailey26:

Quoting MamaMoopsie:

Quoting jillbailey26:

Does he have a way to catch up on sleep during the day, after work?  A nap here and there?

I'd feel horrible too, so I'm right there with you, lol.

Not really. He works from whatever time they tell him to be there in the morning until dinner time, he gets home eats, and will go to bed early to do it all over again. Sometimes if he doesn't have to be to work until 5 or 6 AM he'll help me put the kids to bed, but more often than not he goes to bed before they do or at the same time. I try to let him sleep in on the weekends that he has off (every other weekend).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)