Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm not sure if I should go to Newtown or not ETA- I went.

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:23 AM
  • 48 Replies
2 moms liked this

I have the day off and I really want to go down to Newtown with some flowers and pay my respects to the lives lost, and mourning families. I wanted to go to the vigil the other night, but I feel like since I'm not a Newtown resident I'll just be in the way to the people that really need to be there. I don't know what to do.

It's been a very difficult time in CT. I realized yesterday that the principal was the mother of one of my grade school friends, Erica. My professor told us yesterday that Rachel D'Avino went to my school and was one of his students. He is a behavior analyst, and did not know that she had gone on to become one herself. Almost my entire class knew someone that was lost, or one of their family members and we all just cried. It's finals week and most of us agreed the we had been too upset to study. I'm not really looking for advise or anything. I just needed to vent because my husband doesn't want to talk about it anymore. It's too much for him. Even though I don't have any close ties to anyone... It hurts really bad.

EDIT- I went, and I'm glad I did. As much sorrow as there is... There is SO much love in Newtown right now. THOUSANDS of flowers, candles, cards,stuffed animals, Christmas presents and trees. Someone left and American girl doll, and many other gifts. I wish every community could feel the love that I did today in Newtown, minus the tragedy. As I was leaving the memorial with my dd, a random woman came up to me, gave me a hug, and said "you're a good mom". I don't even know why, but I hugged her a heartfelt hug back. There is so much media there. We even saw news crews from Russia an Korea. 

I added some pictures on page 2

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jillianmayasmom
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:27 AM
I think you should go if it will give you comfort. I don't think that anyone will feel that you are in the way. If I lived anywhere near there, I would go.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TashaB82
by Tootie on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:29 AM
I think u should go!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:29 AM
I think you should go. I don't think you'll be in anyone's way. The whole country is showing respect and support, not just residents of Newtown. If I wasn't so far away I would.
RunningMommaof2
by Kelly on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:45 AM
I spoke with dh and he thinks we should go too. I'm not going to lie that I'm really scared of how much it's going to hurt. I just feel like we need to do it for the families.

Quoting jillianmayasmom:

I think you should go if it will give you comfort. I don't think that anyone will feel that you are in the way. If I lived anywhere near there, I would go.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:47 AM
I'm sure tons of people from all over will be going to pay their respects. This has affected the whole nation. Its so sad. You should go. It will help move forward.
Maks1mommy
by Ruby Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this
If I could go I would.
If it will bring yo some kind of peace you should go.
RunningMommaof2
by Kelly on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:59 AM
You're right. The hardest part of going forward is knowing that we have to do it without those 20 beautiful babies though. How do you move on and without your children? I'm not sure that the pain will ever leave this area. Oh God, it's just too much. I wish this was just a bad dream.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm sure tons of people from all over will be going to pay their respects. This has affected the whole nation. Its so sad. You should go. It will help move forward.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:05 AM
I can't imagine what those moms are feeling.. empyi

Quoting RunningMommaof2:

You're right. The hardest part of going forward is knowing that we have to do it without those 20 beautiful babies though. How do you move on and without your children? I'm not sure that the pain will ever leave this area. Oh God, it's just too much. I wish this was just a bad dream.

Quoting Anonymous:

RunningMommaof2
by Kelly on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:24 AM
Neither can I. No parent should ever have to feel the way they do right now. It's just not right :(

Quoting Anonymous:

I can't imagine what those moms are feeling.. empyi

Quoting RunningMommaof2:

Quoting Anonymous:

RunningMommaof2
by Kelly on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:57 PM
Bump for edit.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)