Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Opinions and advice, please.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies

I'm just looking for opinions and maybe some advice, if you can offer it.  

My 7 year old has, for the third day in a row at school, went to the clinic complaining of a headache.  The first day was Friday at around 2 pm.  Then yesterday was at 10:30 am and now today at 9:30 am.  He never said a word at home after school or over the weekend about his head hurting or anything bothering him.  Could this just be an excuse to get out of class, possibly go home for the day?  Is something else bothering him?  I do have a call in to the doctor's office and waiting for him to call me back to discuss this.  My son has ADD and some fine motor skill issues.  The receptionist at the office suggested something that I hadn't thought of.  She did say that she's no doctor, but asked me if this could possibly be a result of the shooting Friday in CT.  We are in TN, so CT is not close, but with all the media coverage and everyone talking about it, I know he's heard something.  We have talked to the kids about it, in a way that they would understand.  Could he possibly have heard something that scared him, and he thinks going to the clinic everyday will get him home where he knows he's safe?  He doesn't act scared when I drop him off at school, nor yesterday when I picked him up after school.  He doesn't say anything about being scared or not feeling safe at school.  It's hard to know what's going on in his head at times.  I just wonder if this is actually something physical and simple like a headache, or if there is something more involved and psychological.  

Any opinions?  Advice?

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shivasgirl
by Ruby Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this

maybe but have you had his eyes checked? Maybe his teacher rearranged the room and moved him farther away from the board

Master_Debater
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:00 AM
I would ask about this first.

Quoting shivasgirl:

maybe but have you had his eyes checked? Maybe his teacher rearranged the room and moved him farther away from the board

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Yes, he's gone to the eye doctor every year for the past 4 years, ever since he got a rare eye infection that almost cost him his eyesight.  It was caught quickly enough to treat it without the infection doing any damage though.  He actually has an eye appointment on Jan. 7. 

Quoting shivasgirl:

tarakay0417
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:02 AM
You could talk to his teacher and see if he is being bullied or if anything has changed at school. I would also have him checked out by his Dr to see if it is just headaches.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:02 AM

He has had a change in teachers.  His main teacher accepted another job at another school, and left last week.  His new teacher was the assistant in the classroom, so he knows her and has a relationship with her.  

friendlymom5
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:03 AM
Or he could need glasses and it only presents in school due to more reading and such.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SterlingHeart
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:03 AM

have his eyes checked - at school he is focusing on a paper in front of him and then a chalk board - his eyes may be having issue re-focusing from one to the next 

Katrina316
by Gold Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:06 AM
My dd used to go to the school nurse a lot complaining about different things. Turns out she was having problems completing her work in class so she would complain as an excuse to get out of class.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:08 AM

I thought about that.  He does have issues with writing, but he has an IEP in place, so the teachers are supposed to give him extra time to complete his work, putting him by himself if needed.  The 'new' teacher talked with the resource teacher about his IEP, so that she would know exactly what she would need to do for him.  

Quoting Katrina316:

My dd used to go to the school nurse a lot complaining about different things. Turns out she was having problems completing her work in class so she would complain as an excuse to get out of class.

2boys4me4577
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:11 AM

I had the same issue at school and it only really occured at school. It was because I needed glasses. I would have his eyes checked for sure.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)