Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can we talk about privacy online?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 4 Replies

I'm a little behind here I'm sure, but the whole Instagram thing has me thinking.... what steps should we all be taking to make sure we have SOME privacy online?   Do you think they went too far?  What do you do.... and does anyone REALLY read the T&C??  :)

In case you weren't aware (like me til a few mins ago!)

"A section of the new terms of service, titled “Rights,” notes that Instagram will also be able to use your photographs and identity in advertisements. “You agree that a business or other entity may pay us to display your username, likeness, photos (along with any associated metadata), and/or actions you take, in connection with paid or sponsored content or promotions, without any compensation to you,” the new terms say. This means that photographs uploaded to Instagram could end up in an advertisement on the service or on Facebook. In addition, someone who doesn’t use Instagram could end up in an advertisement if they have their photograph snapped and shared on the service by a friend. Facebook already runs ads that make use of people’s activity on its site."

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:24 AM

It has become blatantly obvious to me, while perusing cm, how ignorant people are to privacy online.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:28 AM

me too.  i don't post much "private" info, but used instagram to stay connected w/ family and friends since i don't live near them - pictures of the kids and such.  no more!

Quoting Anonymous:

It has become blatantly obvious to me, while perusing cm, how ignorant people are to privacy online.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:32 AM

I am also private online. When the posts go up having contests to see who has the best butt, boobs, etc.. you have no idea how easy it is for people to access your life. There are sick people perusing sites such as cm looking for things just like that. I am not talking just in mc. People are naive if they believe their privacy is protected posted things on any site. I don't care how tight your privacy settings are. You would think the blog owners who put up blogs posting things from cm would wake people up, but it hasn't.

Quoting Anonymous:

me too.  i don't post much "private" info, but used instagram to stay connected w/ family and friends since i don't live near them - pictures of the kids and such.  no more!

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:40 AM

You're very right.  And it's getting to be almost impossible to shut down accounts you have!!  Which is alarming in itself.  I know it's always been complicated, but it's like jumping through hoops now.

Quoting Anonymous:

I am also private online. When the posts go up having contests to see who has the best butt, boobs, etc.. you have no idea how easy it is for people to access your life. There are sick people perusing sites such as cm looking for things just like that. I am not talking just in mc. People are naive if they believe their privacy is protected posted things on any site. I don't care how tight your privacy settings are. You would think the blog owners who put up blogs posting things from cm would wake people up, but it hasn't.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)