• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Newtown questions... Did I handle this correctly?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 4 Replies
I volunteer at my dd's school every morning for a task they call Minds in Motion. Anyway, a little boy saw the flag at half staff out the window and commented to me that it was because of the school shooting. I just nodded my head and said, "yes, it is..". I have a crowd of 1st and 3rd graders doing the task that I'm in charge of..

A little girl looks at me with wide eyes and says, "school shooting!? Someone shot in a school?". I told her she should talk to her teacher about it. She looked alarmed and said, "was it here? At this school?". I told her no, that it was very far away in Connecticut and that there was nothing for her to worry about. Then I reiterated for her to talk to her teacher if she had any more questions. Do you think I said too much? I kind of feel like I should have just ignored her question altogether and told her to talk to the teacher with any concerns... But she looked so scared that I wanted to say something to set her mind at ease. I'm just second guessing myself. What would you have done?
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
tarakay0417
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:28 AM
I think you did the right thing. If you just ignored it, she could have been too scared to go in the building if she thought it happened at her school.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jb0520
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:29 AM
I think you did the right thing, you gave her reassurance
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:34 AM
I guess my fear is that the teacher will tell her to talk to her parents. Now I have confirmed that what the little boy said is true and even gave the location. If her parents had chosen to keep this news from her, then I've royally screwed that up by giving her that little bit of information.

I'm pretty sure that the teachers have spoken to their classes about this incident. I'm not sure if she was out sick for all of that or not. She was definitely shocked to hear there was a shooting, so that's the only conclusion I can come to on her reaction. We go to a Christian School and I know they had prayer services for the victims.
LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:36 AM
You couldn't have ignored her, though...you gave her the minimum of information and reassured her that she was safe...you didn't even initiate the conversation...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)