Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My confession - am I a bad teacher?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies

If I had been the principal. raising 5 girls at home, I would not have left my desk as she did and tried to stop him.  I probably would have been like the nurse (http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/sandy-hook-nurse-hid-shooter-boots-were-facing-180945115--abc-news-topstories.html) who hid under her desk.

I am a teacher and I'll be honest I would try to protect the kids and put them in a closet or whatever and shieldl them but I myself would hide too. Does that make me a bad teacher?

Maybe I would feel differently if I didn't have kids............

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:55 AM
I wonder of I could do what those women did knowing I had 2 kids at home
mommytoeandb
by Ruby Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:56 AM
I don't think that makes you a bad person. However, I don't think anyone really knows how they would react in the moment.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
danie24
by Ruby Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:57 AM

No, it doesn't make you a bad teacher or person.

I wouldn't risk my life or kill myself trying to save anyone's child but my own.

I would do everything in my power to keep those kids alive and safe, but I would also do everything in my power to keep myself alive.

jazzy411
by Jazmyne Lee on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:01 AM
No that doesn't make you bad. (Unless you use a child as a shield) <---now that would make you a horrible teacher.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:03 AM

I would like to think that my first thought would be my own kids and that I would want to make sure I made it home to them, but knowing how I've reacted in the past, nothing of this magnitude of course, but serious situations all the same, I just react, especially when children are involved. I don't think about anything, I really think I would have put myself out there to protect any kids in my presence. As a parent I'd like to believe that when I send my kids to school the adults in charge of their care would put their life on the line for them, as a human I know that's a lot to ask of anyone. It doesn't make you a bad teacher, it makes you, in my opinion, a mom who thinks of her kids first, and that's absolutely normal and expected.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:04 AM

I don't think it makes you a bad teacher. As a teacher, I have never had anything that major happen while I was at school. I have, however, witnessed gang initiations, fights at school, kids weilding knives, etc., etc. Every single time, I have put myself out there and jumped in the middle to break up a fight. I don't think about my safety, except for the time it happened when I was 9 months pregnant.

Every single time, I react in the way that I've been trained. We are trained to do whatever we can to protect the children. That doesn't mean hiding when you have the potential to reduce the carnage. It just doesn't....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)