Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

if anything happened to you and dh...

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:15 AM
  • 69 Replies
If you and dh passed away who would take care of your children? Do you have a will set up?

Dh and I decided years ago that his ex would get our children should we both die. We feel we can't trust our families to 1. Keep our children together and 2. Raise them as we would.
The reasons we chose his ex are 1. She and her dh are financially able. 2. She loves our kids 3. A Christian home with morals and values 4. They would be with their sisters.

My family thinks its weird and they don't like the idea, but I trust her. I know she would take care of them because she is an awesome mom.
This is not in writing though. We have made our wishes known, but I don't know how to go about setting up a will.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:15 AM

I have one, and his dad would take him

SpnFulOfSugar
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:16 AM
My sister and brother in law would take custody of our three children. They are also the beneficiaries on our life I insurance policies (after DH and I). They would also receive our house and rental property we own.
blue_elephant
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:16 AM
My mom would take them
angevil53
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:17 AM
My dh says he would keep them both (or all three when i have the baby) but i hope he let's my aunt have them. She raised me and she was a great mom. I just don't think he has the touch.
Mommynwife26
by Gold Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:18 AM

My SS would go to my FIL. My daughters would go to my sister and/or mother (they are both on the will and I figure they can figure it out if it was to happen) I know that no matter what all parties would be involved with eachother too let them see eachother and have a relationship. I also know that if something was to happen to my FIL my mom and sister would take in my SS too.

jillbailey26
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:18 AM

I really don't know.  The people in our family we can trust are grandparents.  Brothers and sisters all live in different states and we either don't trust them or our kids don't know them.  We may pick a friend that we trust.  

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

itsm3
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:18 AM

i'm in the process of drafting my power of attorney and will.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:19 AM

probably my husband's brother and his wife.

hudson.maggie
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:20 AM

My dd would go to my SIL.. I love her and she loves my dd. Her and her husband are financially stable and my dd LOVES her cousins =).. I would NEVER want her to go to my family (unless it was my step mom/dad) they are all very immature and have completely different parenting skills/values than I do.

DEJavu17
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:20 AM
How do you go about doing that?

Quoting itsm3:

i'm in the process of drafting my power of attorney and will.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)