Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i think im done

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 4 Replies
So I work at a welfare to work program. We have very strict rules, and I've heard every reason why the rules should be bent from a client. I have one client, shes trying so hard to get on her feet. She missed five days in November, three of them excused. So she has two days to make up for. When I asked her why she missed those days she explained that her child was sick and she took it to the er. The gave her a note excusing that day and for the child to return to daycare when the fever broke. Unfortunately I can not accept that but I referred her to my supervisor because she can override the system and excuse her for those days. My supervisor decided not to and terminated my client from the program. That means she loses all of her benefits including health care for her child, food stamps and childcare.
My client was so upset and in tears.

I feel awful for her. I told her to appeal to welfare rights. She is legitimatly trying and we just screwed her. I think maybe Im just burnt out. Maybe this isn't the place for me. We're supposed to help these women, how can she look for a job with no childcare? How can she feed her child with no foodstamps.

Most of my co-workers (myself includ) are only a paycheck or two away from foodstamps ourselves. A few got jobs here through the program. Yet how quickly we forget. We were once her. We could be her.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Jessica_Esqueda
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:24 AM

That poor woman :(

fanci64
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:30 AM
That is aweful. Hang in there without people like you trying to help more women will fail and fall through the cracks.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:31 AM
Yes. She was crying and begging my supervisor. I've been there long enough to know when someone is trying to get over. She wasn't. She was sincere.

Quoting Jessica_Esqueda:

Jessica_Esqueda
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:47 PM

What state are you in?? Here, if you miss several days of workfirst participation, you're put in sanction/probation... or was she already at that point? 

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes. She was crying and begging my supervisor. I've been there long enough to know when someone is trying to get over. She wasn't. She was sincere.

Quoting Jessica_Esqueda:

For delicious allergy-friendly recipes, follow my blog, Cooking With Food Allergies! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)