• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Poor journalism is partially our fault.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 1 Replies
1 mom liked this

I remember a time in my journalism career when my peers would rather walk naked in freezing rain than risk publishing an article with loads of inaccuracies. This was before social media, before instant live, developing news coverage. Now, many of my colleagues feel pressured to publish stories minute-by-minute simply to keep up with the competition. I'm glad I work in editorials now or else I would feel that pressure, too. 

We have to publish anything we hear because if we don't you, the reader, will simply go elsewhere to hear the gory details.

I'm guilty of it myself. I work from home so on Friday when I heard of the news, I glued myself to the television station, obsessed with finding out as much as I could. When a commercial came on, I would flip to another news station. When I had to leave home, I read the news on my smart phone. And I read from every news outlet. Because I was filled with horror and curiosity. I wanted answers.

If it weren't for my years in the industry, I would probably be just as likely to  mistake these news stories as accurate. Instead, I keep a healthy amount of skepticism, knowing just how often the story is mistold. Instead, I know that even when the details reported are accurate, there is always something left out.

Even many of you know this and accept this but just as I do, flock to the news when something bad happens. Just as I did, you continue to read the LA Times, USA Today, etc. You forgive them when they simply "update" a story instead of admitting they published information they didn't verify.

Then, when "things don't add up" it turns into a government conspiracy cover-up.

This is the most true principle of consumerism that I have found: the consumers control product quality. This is true whether we're talking about bananas or news coverage.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
Sasha-
by Gold Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:41 PM

I have lost a lot of respect for journalism.  I was raised thinking its the jounalism job to give us facts and its up to us to interpret those facts.  Now I think they do it all if its something they agree with.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)